Seen a swift and want to locate the owner, try here
Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Tracing History?

Post by Elwyn Williams » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Hello Elwyn

I bought a Swift 18 in September 2008 and am trying to trace her history. On the original set of Jack Holt sails there is the RYA no K9201Y which is just one away from yours. I believe that these numbers were issued in 1982, but the RYA has no record of who they were issued to. The date stamped on the trailer is August 1985, which seems to be out of step with the sail number, unless the sails come from another Swift. She is cream, with red/burgundy stripes and is now called Yassou. However, on either side of the bow it is just possible to see that originally the Swift 18 logo had been applied. This logo was also originally applied on the quarters. This leads me to believe that she may have been a demonstrator or show boat.

If as a result of your long association with Swifts and the closeness of your RYA no you are able to give me any clues as to her hull number and former identity or original owner I would be most grateful.

Regards
John Weaire
Hi John,

I will go looking at some of my old archived swift owners association paperwork in the loft as soon as I can for you.

I do not believe this was a London Boat show demonstrator as John Charnley always seemed to show the Snow Cream / Brown as per most magazine articles & promotional literature. I have never seen a swift 18 with emblems on the bows (knowingly anyway), I have got some old photos/swift association pictures knocking around somewhere, leave it with me I'll do some digging & get back to you.

Elwyn

John,

My endeavours are not totally conclusive but what I think you have is "Aquapus", Which used to be owned by Bob Goddard who was the founder/secretary of the original swift association (See attached scan of news letter) or "Indiscretion" owned at that time by David Peachey (who was more into racing).

What is known,

John Charnley (Builder/owner of JCA Marine later to become Swiftcraft Had & Used the demonstrator "Superswift" RYA Sail No K9200Y.

Swift 18's were 1st launched @ the Earls Court Boat Show January 1982
I ordered mine S016 K9202Y on 25th March 1982 part of the original order was to include obtaining RYA Sail Numbers (a requirement for membership of the Micro Cup Association (Racing)). My Sail Number was Issued By The RYA 2nd April 1982. therfore K9201Y must have been ordered between Jan 1982 & 25th March 1982.

I Know from the attached News Letter that Bob Goddard in Aquapuss, John Charnley in Superswift (K9200Y) & David Peachey with Indiscretion, all took part in the Econocruise Micro Nationals in July 82 this was a 3 day racing event.
I would suggest that all 3 of these boats had RYA Sail numbers, apart fro Superswift I do not know the numbers.

Of course this only applies to the sails they may have been sold (But unlikely).

I Don't Know what has happened to Bob Goddard (A Lot can happen over 27 years) but his address as was is shown on the news letter I have a telephone number but checking on BT.com, this does not correspond with any Goddard in the Poole area now.

Sorry about the quality of the scans but the originals are no better!

Sorry I can’t be of more assistance, all the best with your endeavours
Elwyn Williams

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

boat history

Post by mikeprojectboat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:44 am

Hi, two swifts near me have been sold over the last 18 months,can you tell me what the boat used to be called,? As one was a red/burgundy colour.!! REGARDS MIKE IN SUNNYISH NORFOLK.

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:11 pm

some snippets that full text search revealed - apologies for any duplication of info:

Yassou was sold in 2006 She was registered on the Small Ships Register 112292 and was lying at Lymington.

NL 27, page 25: Aquapus had sail no SO 19. Bob Godard sold it at the end of 1983.
NL 5, page 2c: Does caption to photo suggest Aquapus had sail no. K9204Y?

L9201Y is shown in NL 5 on page 2b.

martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

Elwyn Williams
Making way

Post by Elwyn Williams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Success!

Further to your research I looked through the early newsletters and found a report and photographs of the 1983 Broads rally (NL05, May 1983). Aquapus is clearly shown as having sail no K9204Y. Indiscretion was also there and although I cannot see a name, the sail no K9201Y can just be made out in one of the photographs. Judging by the way in which the gooseneck was twisted (I had to have a new one made) and the number of small tears in the old mainsail she has certainly done some hard racing. I have replaced all of the headling and the windows, returned the current sails to Kemps for refurbishment and raised the engine mounting to cope with Christchurch Harbour. We think she looks pretty smart now and are itching to start sailing her.

Regards

John
Elwyn Williams

Elwyn Williams
Making way

Post by Elwyn Williams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:55 pm

John would you mind if I place your email on the registry boat name forum as a closure?
Elwyn Williams

Elwyn Williams
Making way

Post by Elwyn Williams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi Elwyn

I don't have a problem with that and would have altered the registry details myself if I had not had some remaining doubts about identifying my boat as SO 09, "Indiscretion". Yassou seems to have all of the modifications that were incorporated into later boats ie:
bow roller enclosing the prow, boss on keel winding screw, rudder blade, delrin rudder gudgeons, pushpit and modified keel (I think). I haven't yet checked to see if there is ballast in the skeg, but hope so, as Christchurch Harbour is often very windy.

All of these seem to relate more to the trailer date of August 1985 and I am startng to feel that it was the sails, rather than the trailer that were acquired secondhand, although why the RYA numbers were left on is a mystery. Also I have Barlow winches on Yassou whereas I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original specification was Lewmar.

I would again be very interested to hear your thoughts on all of the above. As I said at the start of this massage, I have no problem with any of this going onto the forum and am happy to leave that to you if you wish.

Regards

John
Elwyn Williams

Elwyn Williams
Making way

Post by Elwyn Williams » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:56 pm

John,

I feel your thoughts are right,

Although pushpits were an option on all models I had mine fitted from new, Lewmar winches were definitely fitted to earlier models prior to & including mine, SO16 has a nylon bow roller, however I did modify it to prevent inadvertent miss guiding, The rudder gudgeons on SO16 are of aluminium construction although I had an additional one fitted to prevent the rudder & stock from lifting (This worked verywell I know when John Charnley supplied the extra gudgeon to me, he was considering incorporating this mod to the design).

SO16 did suffer from damage to the Aluminium rudder blade following a very hairy 7/8 crossing from Cowes to Hamble (20 min crossing) back in 1983, John arranged to have it straightened for me, (You can get a swift 18 to plane).

Never had any problems with the keel lifting gear so it was never modified.

I digress,

So it would appear the history of yours is still unknown, can anyone else help?

Elwyn Williams
Elwyn Williams

Elwyn Williams
Making way

Post by Elwyn Williams » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:52 am

Hi Elwyn

Thanks again for your input. If I assume the trailer date of August 85 is right, then Yassou must be one of the boats listed in NL14, Sept 85. NL13, May 85, lists boats up to 206 so this leaves 207 to 217 which was delivered in Sept 85. Clearly she is not 208 or 217 (Tiger Lily) but 207 is listed as Swiftcraft, which may explain the Swift 18 logo on the bow.

Unless you or any other Swift owner has any further thoughts this seems to be about as far as I can go. I know that she was sailed on Carsington Water in 2001 and then was in Newhaven in 2003, Lymington, 2005 and finally Bucklers Hard, 2006 before I bought her in 2008.

Regards

John
Elwyn Williams