Origo 3000 from Compass24.com

A place to recommend suppliers that you have actually used.
Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:55 pm

Oh! er.. lovely..........
Pauline

Jun 19, 2008 08:23:27 AM, forum-resources@swift18.org wrote:
Hi Pauline.
You'll never have that problem again. Once you've bought anything from Compass they send you a new catalogue every couple of weeks. Our house is full of them!
Terry

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Origo

Post by CHERRY PIE » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Pauline, have you had good use out of your Origo 3000? We may be in the market for one and have looked at all the posts on the practical boat owners forum reader to reader (just asked if anyone could put a video of one in action on You Tube and had a funny reply) What type of meals have you cooked? Is it easy to get the fuel? Does it smell or make your eyes water? I read that if you placed a cast iron frying pan on the ring and let it heat up it made a good cabin warmer (taking the usual precautions) Is it really a good compromise over gas? Sorry for all the questions I would value your opinion. Thanks Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Hi Gary,
I love our Origo, although I vaguely think it is 2000 not 3000 which is too high. It is clean and easy to use, seals well so does not smell and I feel a lot safer than with gas. I bought the optional extra pot clamps but built my own 'holder' because the gimballs would have been too big for the space.
basically I cut down the port side edge of the cooker housing, fitted a varnished surface with fiddles all round to hold the cooker in place. It was not an option to screw it down because you need to pull the cooker forward so that it the top can hinge up for refilling.

I buy meths in .5 litre bottles and have upgraded the old gas locked to store them. Then I decant a whole bottle into a reservoir when it needs filling up. Availability from Homebase /B&Q etc decorating sections. There is a distinct lack oof meths in camping/chandlery/garages in our cruising area.

Cooking wise, I think it is cleaner than gas, and you can do anything on the stove top that you would have done, there is no grill of course. You can get meths top heaters from camping shops I think but given the awkward nature of our cabin spaces, I'd go for neither! Seems to me to be an accident waiting to happen.

Personally, I use the pressure cooker a lot on the boat to save on fuel and add capacity. I also have a cheap 3 tier steamer that is very good.

Hope this all helps.

On 25 November 2010 18:38, CHERRY PIE <forum-resources@swift18.org (forum-resources@swift18.org)> wrote:
Pauline, have you had good use out of your Origo 3000? We may be in the market for one and have looked at all the posts on the practical boat owners forum reader to reader (just asked if anyone could put a video of one in action on You Tube and had a funny reply) What type of meals have you cooked? Is it easy to get the fuel? Does it smell or make your eyes water? I read that if you placed a cast iron frying pan on the ring and let it heat up it made a good cabin warmer (taking the usual precautions) Is it really a good compromise over gas? Sorry for all the questions I would value your opinion. Thanks Gary

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Thanks Pauline for your point of view and yes it does help.
You may be interested in my thread on http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255577

Just in Case the thread url does not work its the practical boat owners reader to reader the post is entitled No video of Origo 3000 on You Tube.

Regards Gary

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Further to No Origo 3000 on You Tube

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:06 pm

There is now! Steak done before the chips! SACK THE CHEF! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UewSwELVoY

Happy New Year to all