Norfolk Swifts

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
markb
Anchored

Norfolk Swifts

Post by markb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Hi,

I've had my Swift, Giulia, based on Barton Broad for the past year and can thoroughly recommend it - under 5 mins motoring from boatyard to sails up; safe yet big and deep enough to hold your interest for a nice few hours sail - with an island to sail round as well! - and, as it's not tidal (much), easy access any time you fancy heading out. It's been great, with my favourite times being the occasions when I've stayed overnight in the middle of the Broad itself - beautiful sunsets, lots of (noisy!) birdlife and a great feeling of remoteness as you bob around the mudweight, looking up at the stars with nary a light or sound of mankind to disturb the peace!

However... I now fancy a new challenge and am wondering about taking my little boat somewhere fresh for next Summer. On recent (inflatable-kayak) reconnaissance trips I spotted Rondonay in Ranworth Broad and a Swift (whose name I've forgotten) at Hickling Staithe on Hickling Broad. Where do you both find are the best places to sail? South Walsham Broad was nice and wild but fairly small. Hickling is an obvious candidate and is bigger than Barton but the post-marked navigation channel is not wide. Readings I took from my kayak indicated a depth of around 4 feet outside the channel - which should be ok for a Swift with keel full-down... although I managed to run my kayak aground on the Western edges - some achievement this, as she draws all of about 4 inches! To anyone who's sailed on Hickling, how restricted do you find the area? Do you sail with keel full down?

I'm also considering places such as Brancaster or Morston/Blakeney on the North Norfolk coast and noticed 2 Swifts moored together in the Blakeney area (Shakatar? and ?). How have you found the sailing there? Is it possible to get moorings? does the need for high tide restrict your sailing window a lot? I'd be grateful for your thoughts...

Many thanks!

Mark.

dewaard
Under way

North Norfolk sailing

Post by dewaard » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:46 pm

Shakatar is our Swift. Shes been on a drying mooring between Blakeney and Morston for a couple of seasons now. We love sailing in the sheltered Blakeney harbour. The tide heights do make a difference to the sailing area/time on the water, but on all but the lowest neap tides you can sail. On the high spring tides the sailing is fantastic and we can get approx 5 hours sailing. There are about four swifts at Morston/Blakeney.....ours 'Lara', 'Sunswift' and 'Chantilly'. When the weathers good I can't think of a nicer place to sail..... surrounded by seals, terns and beautiful landscape.

PM me Mark and I will give you more info.

Happy Sailing

Jim

Rondonay
Cruising

Norfolk Swifts

Post by Rondonay » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Hello BenWe, Phill & I, sail South Walsham, Black Horse Broad(aka Little Hoveton) at Horning and Wroxham Broad mainly. Wroxham is the biggest and probably the best, but I like Black Horse for a good afternoon sail, and S Walsham for late afternoon/evening. When we mudweight there in season the swallows use our pulpit as a launchpad for breakfast insect-hunting and so we wake up to their chattering to each other-magical!!We have struggled with the rivers because Rondonay was not tacking too well but keel-surgery at the Whelpton yard has improved that no end!Are you local to the Broads? We are not so Rondonay spends a lot of time on the mooring..this year has been especially poor for coming to sail. I hope we will be there for a few days soon, though. Perhaps we can all meet up in the Maltsters for a drink/snack?Are you a member of the Norfolk Broads Forum?PS. I was on a wherry a couple of years ago with Guilia's former owner. PaulineSep 8, 2008 11:21:56 AM, forum-general@swift18.org wrote:=========================================== Hi,I've had my Swift, Giulia, based on Barton Broad for the past year and can thoroughly recommend it - under 5 mins motoring from boatyard to sails up; safe yet big and deep enough to hold your interest for a nice few hours sail - with an island to sail round as well! - and, as it's not tidal (much), easy access any time you fancy heading out.  It's been great, with my favourite times being the occasions when I've stayed overnight in the middle of the Broad itself - beautiful sunsets, lots of (noisy!) birdlife and a great feeling of remoteness as you bob around the mudweight, looking up at the stars with nary a light or sound of mankind to disturb the peace! However... I now fancy a new challenge and am wondering about taking my little boat somewhere fresh for next Summer. On recent (inflatable-kayak) reconnaissance trips I spotted Rondonay in Ranworth Broad and a Swift (whose name I've forgotten) at Hickling Staithe on Hickling Broad.  Where do you both find are the best places to sail?  South Walsham Broad was nice and wild but fairly small.  Hickling is an obvious candidate and is bigger than Barton but the post-marked navigation channel is not wide. Readings I took from my kayak indicated a depth of around 4 feet outside the channel - which should be ok for a Swift with keel full-down... although I managed to run my kayak aground on the Western edges - some achievement this, as she draws all of about 4 inches!  To anyone who's sailed on Hickling, how restricted do you find the area?  Do you sail with keel full down?I'm also considering places such as Brancaster or Morston/Blakeney on the North Norfolk coast and noticed 2 Swifts moored together in the Blakeney area (Shakatar? and ?).  How have you found the sailing there?  Is it possible to get moorings?  does the need for high tide restrict your sailing window a lot?  I'd be grateful for your thoughts...Many thanks!Mark. -------------------- m2f --------------------Sent using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com). Read this topic online here:http://www.swift18.org/Swift18/phpBB2/v ... ---------- m2f --------------------

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

markb
Anchored

Norfolk Swifts

Post by markb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Hi Pauline,

Hope you are doing well since our last email correspondance!

Evening on South Walsham sounds nice with the swallows but I thought that the broad looked a wee bit small - I'd be constantly worrying about hitting the keel. Coincidently I did do that for the first time on Friday on Barton but it was my own fault as I was miles inside some buoys clearly marked 'shallow water'.. nevertheless it was a tad disconcerting to feel the rumbling and see the keel box jumping up and down as the keel rode-up. Luckily I was moving slowly so hopefully no damage done...

I agree Wroxham is a good one. Little Hoveton I didn't know about - will have to try it. "Keel-surgery to improve tacking"? what was the problem?

I live about half an hour drive away from Barton so yes that's pretty local I guess (tho' work away during the week in London unfortunately). From my experience of boating so far, the amount of use of the boat is strongly related to its nearness and ease of access (unless maybe you're retired or have lots of free time?). Happy to meet up with other Norfolk swift owners - I'm away the last 2 weeks in Oct. on hol though. No, not used Norfolk Broads forum - you don't happen to have Giulia's ex-owners contact dets do you? it would be nice to have a chat with them!

PS. It sounds like Mike Project Boat has similar concerns to me about Hickling's depth...

Rondonay
Cruising

Norfolk Swifts

Post by Rondonay » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi.

The ex-owner of Giulia was a member of the Norfolk Wherry Trust & as I recall was Norwich-based, can't help beyond that I'm afraid.
It sounds like you were on Turkey Broad, off Barton? It's really shallow. Hickling is ok inside the markers but a paddling depth outside..
The keel surgery was occasioned by the Zebra Mussels moving into the keel case, and jamming the gear, winding up the keel dragged the whole lot down through the keel case..£900 quid later, it's working fine! South Walsham outer broad is fine, the inner broad is shallow at the top and I avoid going beyond the island.

Pauline

Oct 13, 2008 10:53:17 AM, forum-general@swift18.org wrote:
Hi Pauline,

Hope you are doing well since our last email correspondance!

Evening on South Walsham sounds nice with the swallows but I thought that the broad looked a wee bit small - I'd be constantly worrying about hitting the keel. Coincidently I did do that for the first time on Friday on Barton but it was my own fault as I was miles inside some buoys clearly marked 'shallow water'.. nevertheless it was a tad disconcerting to feel the rumbling and see the keel box jumping up and down as the keel rode-up. Luckily I was moving slowly so hopefully no damage done...

I agree Wroxham is a good one. Little Hoveton I didn't know about - will have to try it. "Keel-surgery to improve tacking"? what was the problem?

I live about half an hour drive away from Barton so yes that's pretty local I guess (tho' work away during the week in London unfortunately). From my experience of boating so far, the amount of use of the boat is strongly related to its nearness and ease of access (unless maybe you're retired or have lots of free time?). Happy to meet up with other Norfolk swift owners - I'm away the last 2 weeks in Oct. on hol though. No, not used Norfolk Broads forum - you don't happen to have Giulia's ex-owners contact dets do you? it would be nice to have a chat with them!

PS. It sounds like Mike Project Boat has similar concerns to me about Hickling's depth...

Compo
Run aground

Sailing Swifts

Post by Compo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:16 pm

Dear Mark

I'm new to this site so I may not be sending this note in the correct way. Let's see what happens!
At the moment I sale a Solo on Hickling Broad and for the most part depth is not a problem but there are areas to be avoided. However, I have been looking at the Swift as a boat to sail on the Broads. My problem is that I have no experience of the Swift 18 and I am trying to make contact with an owner or owners in the Broads area who might be happy for me to act as crew on one of their sails. I have also done some big boat sailing some years ago. If you might be able to help or could put me in touch with someone in my area I would be very grateful.
Thanks

Compo ( Philip )

Rondonay
Cruising

Norfolk Swifts

Post by Rondonay » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Hi Philip,

We are out of the water now until Spring but are based at Ranworth. Do come for a sail with us next year.
Do you post on The Norfolk Broads Forum? There is a lot of interest in dredging/or not! on there.

2009/11/20 Compo <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)>
Dear Mark

I'm new to this site so I may not be sending this note in the correct way. Let's see what happens!
At the moment I sale a Solo on Hickling Broad and for the most part depth is not a problem but there are areas to be avoided. However, I have been looking at the Swift as a boat to sail on the Broads. My problem is that I have no experience of the Swift 18 and I am trying to make contact with an owner or owners in the Broads area who might be happy for me to act as crew on one of their sails. I have also done some big boat sailing some years ago. If you might be able to help or could put me in touch with someone in my area I would be very grateful.
Thanks

Compo ( Philip )

markb
Anchored

Post by markb » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi Phillip/Compo,

Yep you seem to be using the site fine.

Its been a year since my original post.. Helped by Deeward, Giulia spent the Summer up at Morston. Its fantastic up there, really beautiful, but the restrictions placed by the tides meant that I didn't do as much sailing as I'd hoped - I'm going back next Summer to see if I can get out more! In the meantime, a few weeks ago, I moved Giulia to Whispering Reeds at Hickling. They seem very nice folks and I'm hoping to get out at least once a month during the Winter - weather permitting..

You're welcome to join me on a sail if you want. I do think the Swift is an excellent boat for the Broads - it sails fine (I generally sail single-handed), is cheap to run, small enough to fit in most places, easy to raise/lower the mast for bridges, has a swing-keel where depth is restricted, possible to trail if you fancy a change of scenery, great for overnighting or weekends for 2 of you.

If you're coming from dinghy-sailing, you may find a Swift not as exciting - but its obviously not as wet and a lot more practical.. I'll pm you my phone number in case you want to look around her. All the best,

Mark.