renewing genny

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
wayfarer
Making way

renewing genny

Post by wayfarer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi shipmates Iam about to put anew genny on puffin, unfortunatly the halyard pulley broke on the self furling and have to renew it hence have to drop mast. Boat is still on the water i thought i could put a block on the bow and attatch a rope to the main halyard through the block and back to winch and lower it .Has anyone got advice
Regards David

yoty
Making way

Mast lowering

Post by yoty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi, you should use an 'A' frame to lower the mast otherwise when you pass the 40 degree mark or thereabouts you'll loose control of the mast and it will come down at its own speed.

PM me if you need more advice.

Barry

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:01 am

David,
Look in the 'Library' section of this website, there are 2 types of 'A' frame explained in the 'Technical' section. Also read all the posts on this forum under 'Mast Erection'!
You could do what you're suggesting if you have a helper to support the mast as it comes down. This is what is suggested in the 'Original Instructions on Launching and Recovering a Swift 18'. Also in the technical section of the library.
Good Luck!
Rob

wayfarer
Making way

renewing genny

Post by wayfarer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi thanks for the replies i hope to do it this weekend also have two able helpers cheers
Regards David

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Mast lowering

Post by John Hainsworth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Hi,

I use a 2 metre A Frame with base secured to toe rail, bottom of forestay secured to top of frame together with mainsheet. The other end of the mainsheet I attach to bow roller. The mast will tend to swing sideways but your helpers could steady it.

John