Furling Jib

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
afkerr
Run aground

Furling Jib

Post by afkerr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:08 am

Hi, Happy New Year to one and all.

My furling jib has stopped furling due to some failure at the top of the mainstay. Any ideas as to the best place to go for a replacement (both mainstay and furler). I've seen costs of £600 plus. Are they really that much?

Alastair

yoty
Making way

Furler

Post by yoty » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Alastair,

Not the happiest of new year starts then!

You don't mention which make of furler, or reefing, gear you have. If it's like mine (Furlex I think) there is nothing up the mast to jamb but other makes have a swivel up there and it is most likely that it is the swivel that has seized. They can often be freed off with a bit of WD40 or at worst replaced for about £60. You may or may not have to re-make the fitting at the end of the forestay which may be swaged or crimped-up.

Any pictures? Boat still in the water I suspect!

Barry

Terry
Cruising

Re: Furling Jib

Post by Terry » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:58 pm

If it were mine I'd want to have a look at it first before shelling out for a new furler. 5 years ago my furler jammed. It turnedout to be a shreded forestay and a rigger friend of mine sorted it for about £30.
Terry
afkerr wrote:Hi, Happy New Year to one and all.

My furling jib has stopped furling due to some failure at the top of the mainstay. Any ideas as to the best place to go for a replacement (both mainstay and furler). I've seen costs of £600 plus. Are they really that much?

Alastair

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Furling Jib

Post by John Hainsworth » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:06 am

Hi,

I bought my swift as a project and the forestay had snapped near the mast. I checked on the forum and discovered that some folk thought that the original stay was under weight and prone to problems. Fortunately a friend had a replacement stay from a cobra 750 which he gave me. I had it cut to size and reamed out the roller to fit the bigger bottle screw and it now works well. All I'm saying is that it may pay you to go for a thicker stay while you're doing the job.

Cheers John

On 04/01/2011 12:58, Terry wrote:
If it were mine I'd want to have a look at it first before shelling out for a new furler. 5 years ago my furler jammed. It turnedout to be a shreded forestay and a rigger friend of mine sorted it for about £30.
Terry

afkerr wrote: Hi, Happy New Year to one and all.

Alastair

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)