sail cover

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

sail cover

Post by mikeprojectboat » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:59 pm

Trying to make myself a sail cover, have made a template but seems to require a bulge,rather than a taper from mast to boom end.! Have repacked sail twice,but still seem to get more sail about two thirds along the boom.? Anybody got any sizes or measurements.?? REGARDS TO ALL IN SUNNY NORFOLK(so warm, jumper only) PS ..The term !FLYING BOAT! takes on a whole new meaning, if you are checking your mainsail uphaul in zero wind, to big gust!!!!!

gff_cook
Making way

sail cover

Post by gff_cook » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:16 pm

Hello Mike

Will send you a template of a successful sail cover I made for the main (remember me? – you made me a very good new rudder).

Geoff Cook

Sent: 05 March 2010 18:00
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] sail cover

Trying to make myself a sail cover, have made a template but seems to require a bulge,rather than a taper from mast to boom end.! Have repacked sail twice,but still seem to get more sail about two thirds along the boom.? Anybody got any sizes or measurements.?? REGARDS TO ALL IN SUNNY NORFOLK(so warm, jumper only) PS ..The term !FLYING BOAT! takes on a whole new meaning, if you are checking your mainsail uphaul in zero wind, to big gust!!!!!

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Re: sail cover

Post by Terry » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Hi Mike, Just a small point. Do you have a bolt rope or sliders because, if the latter, you'll have a lot of sail bunched up just above the boom which will need to be accommodated in your design.

mikeprojectboat wrote:Trying to make myself a sail cover, have made a template but seems to require a bulge,rather than a taper from mast to boom end.! Have repacked sail twice,but still seem to get more sail about two thirds along the boom.? Anybody got any sizes or measurements.?? REGARDS TO ALL IN SUNNY NORFOLK(so warm, jumper only) PS ..The term !FLYING BOAT! takes on a whole new meaning, if you are checking your mainsail uphaul in zero wind, to big gust!!!!!

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

sail cover

Post by mikeprojectboat » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:15 am

Terry, No bolt rope, I think that the shape of the main,when lowered tends to fall towards the back of the boom,rather than evenly over the boom. Bit like how you !FLAKE! a sail for folding. The sail is brand new very stiff and hard and difficult to flex. Will see what Geoffs template is like .REGARDS TO ALL MIKE

Rondonay
Cruising

sail cover

Post by Rondonay » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:38 am

Where are you sailing her mike?

I'm mega busy until weds but will get my sail cover down form the loft and make some measurements for you.

On 5 March 2010 17:59, mikeprojectboat <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

sail cover

Post by mikeprojectboat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:48 am

Thanks for the replies, Geoff Cook has just sent me an exellent template from his sail cover.! Thanks Geoff.!!! In fact its so good I think Geoff should be promoted to !HEAD PATTERN MAKER!... not tried sewing any velcro , but the stuff I have is VERY thick,so sugestions please. Might try the boat up at Hickling Broad this summer,but water bit shallow. regards to all, Mike.