ebay spinny

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

ebay spinny

Post by mikeprojectboat » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Yet another spinny for sale on ebay , item no,280447802787 1 day20hrs left, no bids as yet,at £185 BIT STEEP!! but shown as new,for a 18 foot boat.... ......Anybody out there?? Anybody out there??..

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi Mike,
I'm out here! Thanks for that, I bought it, looks new, assymetric, good colours & just the right size I think, got one sheet & a launch bag included for a bit less than his original starting price! Can't wait for Easter to try it on Vega!
Rob

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

ebay spinny

Post by mikeprojectboat » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:40 am

Rob, Sounds like you got a good deal,! bought mine last year but unused as yet. Can you let me know if you can use it single handed sailing.? regards Mike in a mild but breezy Norfolk

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:23 am

Hi Mike,
I've every intention of flying it single handed! I've been using my old symetrical spinny with pole single handed, like Dave only in light winds. I,m hoping this will be easier once I,ve got the controls set up. How is yours rigged Dave? Have you got a 'tack line' led back to the cockpit? Do you launch & recover from the cockpit behind the mainsail?
Rob, in dull & misty Yorkshire!

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

spinny use ,single sailing.

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Had good look at my spinny prior to purchase , shown and sold as a symetrical,Had my doubts though as it is not equally cut if folded in half down the centre.? Laid it out on the grass last year, and one side of the foot is about three foot longer and about two foot lower than the other side. So it might be asymmetric.? Do you use dedicated pulleys/blocks, mounted further foward,?and feed the lines back to the cockpit,or use the existing genoa ones.? the guy who had it, used pulley/blocks mounted in front of the cabin (sides),and a spinny pole.! With lines comming back to the cockpit then cleated as normal .Any thoughts.? REGARDS MIKE

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Mike,
I got most of my info from here,
http://www.kempsails.com/component/opti ... Itemid,12/
Then click on'Using a cruising chute'
I've sent you an email with more detail.
Rob

Danwash
Under way

Post by Danwash » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm thinking of using my symmetric kite, with one of those atn tackers singe handed, sure it's not as fast as a pole, but the rig looks a whole lot less daunting, easier to gybe etc.
Dan