Mast rake again

Discussions related to the mast
Terry
Cruising

Mast rake again

Post by Terry » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:43 pm

It’s coming round to launch time again so I’m starting to thinking about all the problems I face at about this time, in particular, mast rake. Not so much about how much but more how to go about it on a small boat like a swift. May be you guys that keep your boats on millponds and can pick a really calm day and somehow levitate yourselves above the deck but even if I’m lucky enough to get such a day my own body weight constantly alters the trim and with the mast wanging about all over the place I don’t see how I can get any kind of accurate reading.
I was wondering whether to set the rake before launching. Does anyone know if the cockpit sole runs parallel with the waterline so I can set up with a spirit level?

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Mast rake again

Post by Elwyn Williams » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:48 pm

Hang Fire I Am scanning some sail & rigging Plans that Might Help Get Your Celleotape Ready

See Sails & Rigging Plans I will update shortly

Elwyn Williams

email :- elwynjrwilliams@aol.com
Elwyn Williams

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Cheers Elwyn, downloads much appreciated and I’m sure Andy will be including them on the revamped site. However, in this instance, it doesn’t solve my problem. I actually knew that the mast rake was 2.5 inches (about one mast diameter at the top) but its the issue of getting the boat level that I’m having difficulty with. What I need to know is whether or not the cockpit sole is parallel with the waterline. I’m guessing it is so I think that’s the way I’ll do it this year.

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Hi Terry,
I don't think the cockpit sole is parrallel to the waterline. I tried the same thing, I thought maybe the top of the keel case was, but don't think that is either. If you can find level ground, you could measure to the waterline on the boat from the ground at both ends. Or if the ground isn't level get a 18' length of timber level with a spirit level & measure from that!
Rob

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Mast rake again

Post by Elwyn Williams » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:30 pm

the only way I can think of checking this is when the boats were manufactured by JCA they scribed the Waterline marks into the outer gell coat layer, I would attempt to level off the boat on these marks & then check the cockpit sole level. My best guess is that the Cockpit floor has a slight gradient towards the stern to allow for drainage, but I played with the rake until the boat seemed best tuned the turnbuckles on all the stays have been locked of and covered with self amalgamating tape see photos in gallary & have never been adjusted in the last 10 years or so to lower the mast I just take out the clevis pin holding the mast in position with the spinnaker halyard & vice versa.

Elwyn Williams

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Elwyn Williams

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 pm

I don't know where this line in the gelcoat is but looking at Silvester's drawings, the line where the chine changes seems to be level with the waterline. Last year I had to take the furling gear to bits for repair so everything is now out of adjustment - hence the enquiries. Like you, in the past I've done this by trial and error but I have to disconnect the forestay to adjust it and it's a very slow process. Thanks for your help anyway.
regards Terry