Keel Winding Gear

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
helenandpete
Under way

Keel Winding Gear

Post by helenandpete » Tue May 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi

We got Tadpole in the water for the fist time last week and had a great couple of days sailing in and out of Salcombe. However I am just a little concerned about the winding gear for the keel.
When I lowered the keel the first 2 turns or so made several cracking sounds but she went down smooth enough from then on. The same thing happend when I wound it up, smooth as you like till the last 2 or 3 turns and the crack, crack from the keel box / winding gear.
I am wondering if the trailer has done some damage as the keel is pushed up past the fully up position as the boat comes over the lead keel roller but drops back into the down position after it is past the roller.

Can anyone tell me if the keel hangs lower than the skeg when fully up? as mine seems to be about 75mm lower.

Also I only wound the keel down 26 turns as I am not sure what happens if I keep lowering. e.g. will the screw come out of the nut or is there a stop?

I am going to get the keel box cover off tomorrow and open the inspection bung and have a look.
Best Regards

Peter

Ed
Anchored

Keel

Post by Ed » Thu May 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi,

Interesting to hear of a swift sailing in Salcombe I keep meaning to trail mine down (Webley), kept currently at Rutland. Did you Launch there?

On the keel front I think if when your on the trailer you keep winding as if your pulling the keel up the bolt will slowly unwind itself upward from there you should be able to see if there is anything wrong or atleast be able to see into the top of the keel case. I wind mine up and down 42 times, but it will actually got to 46 but I like to keep the last 2 turns on to take the slack.

I can't remember what it looks like from below!

One of the other boats, I can't remember which has some pictures of the keel mechanism which should help you.

Ed

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu May 07, 2009 9:14 pm

On some boats it is possible to unscrew the the winding gear right out of the saddle. On others, a small end stop is riveted on to stop this happening. If your boat is still on it's trailer or dried out you can view the mechanism through the inspection cover on the starboard side of the keel box but don't try this afloat (glug glug!!)
I think some later boats had winding gear with more than 45 turns but if you're only getting 26 turns I think something is jamming.

helenandpete
Under way

Keel Winding Gear

Post by helenandpete » Sat May 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi Ed

Yes we launched her from Batson Slip (Boat Park). We spend a lot of time in Salcombe but this is the first trip down there for Tadpole.

I have fixed the Cracking Noise from the keel winding gear today. I managed to take the boat into work and park under an old lifting frame we have in the scrap yard. Lifted the boat enough to get disconnect the lifting gear from the keel and got it all out. The problem was one of the rivets mus have failed some time ago. It was replaced by a nut and bolt but the split pin in the end of the screw was rubbing on the nut. Good job I had it all out though because 2 of the 3 fixings in to the keel had broken.

All fixed and back on the trailer now. Just hoping the keel bolt won' leak.

I will put a couple of photos of the weekends fun and games in my gallery.
Best Regards

Peter

Rondonay
Cruising

Keel Winding

Post by Rondonay » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:43 am

We followed the advice on here and installed a ball race in the winding mechanism about 18 months ago. The difference is really significant! We also had a 'stopper' fitted to stop the winding off problem, I'd advocate both. :)