Leak around keel pivot bolt

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
greenn
Run aground

Leak around keel pivot bolt

Post by greenn » Sun May 04, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi all,

I have owned 'Red Admiral' for about 2 years now and I have a slight leak aorond the keel pivot bolt. Can the seal be replaced without taking the keel out? Do I need to get some special parts?

Any help or advice very much appreciated.

Nick Green
Nick Green

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sun May 04, 2008 10:53 pm

I've not done this but I would immobilise the keel with the boat on it's trailer and then tap the bolt out with a similar sized bolt so that the keel end up on the replacement bolt. Then, with a new seal and washer on the captive end of the original bolt, tap it back though the keel and keel box before replacing the seal, washer and nut on the other end. Several others including Gary (Cherry Pie) have had their keels out so, may be, they will be better placed to advise you.
Regards, Terry

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

LEAKY KEEL BOLT (EDITED 08/05/08)

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue May 06, 2008 10:20 am

HI NICK,
IF YOUR SWIFT IS ON ITS TRAILER, BUY A TUBE OF FERNOX LSX FROM B&Q PLUMBING SECTION. REMOVE THE KEEL BOLT AND APPLY A GOOD DOLLOP OF THE SILICONE TO THE SEALS ON BOTH SIDES AND REPLACE THE BOLT. INSIDE THE KEELBOX THE KEEL HAS FLANGED (PLASTIC/POLY) CUPS ON BOTH SIDES (NOT WASHERS) SO YOU WON'T LOSE THEM WHEN THE BOLT IS REMOVED. IT WORKED FOR ME WHEN DRIED OUT ON A BEACH. GARY
PS I HAVE ADDED A PICTURE OF CHERRY PIE'S KEEL EXPOSED, IT HAS BEEN PLACED IN OUR GALLERY, SORRY IT'S A LITTLE OUT OF FOCUS BUT YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE PLASTIC POLY FLANGED BUSHES THAT THE KEEL BOLT SLIDES THROUGH.
Last edited by CHERRY PIE on Thu May 08, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Wed May 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi Nick
I know of one Swift owner who could not get a seal around the keel pivot bolt and eventualy found the bolt had siezed to the keel and was turning with the keel each time it was raised or lowered thus breaking the seal around the nut & bolt head. The keel should pivot on the bolt!
Rob