Anti Fouling Preperation/Application

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
Puffin
Anchored

Post by Puffin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:03 am

Hello i am in the process of prepairing Puffin for a spell in a local mariner and have been reading the previous section on suggested Anti Fouling with great interest. I intend to use Micron extra. Puffin has never had anti fouling applied before and i would like advce on the best preperation/primer required before the application of the Anti Fouling. I have read the tin, but as any one who has ever carried out any any exercise will agree there is no substatute for experience. :)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:52 pm

Anti fouling wise, I had allsorts of gubbins on my boat so, this year, I decided to start from scratch (Literally) and started by using a stripping gel. I then used International primer before finishing with 2 coats of Micron. To put it on I use a mini roller with several spare rollers because they don’t last very long. So far, it’s holding up well.
It depends on how good a job you wish to make but if you want to do things properly you’ll need to get up inside the keel box. In the past I have done an average job by poking up toothbrushes and the like between the keel and the box but it didn’t really work. At least every other year I think it’s worth getting the keel down properly. It takes about 1.5 ltrs to do 2 coats which leaves half a ltr to touch up later. It's a horrible job but just console your self that you're not doing a 30 footer.
Best of luck

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:53 pm

Terry,How do you safely get the keel down on the trailer? Sorry to be dim but I don't have lots of heavy kit to do a job like this.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:15 pm

With lots of concrete blocks, 2 RSJ's, a lot of chocks of wood with padding,a couple of car jacks and a a lot of bottle! I couldn't recommend to anyone else!

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:59 pm

AArgh!

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Puffin
Anchored

Post by Puffin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:03 pm

Thank you very much for the advice that ou have given me, any advice on stopping the rain so i can get on wih the job chuckle :D