Anti-Fouling

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
jjspicer
Under way

Anti-Fouling

Post by jjspicer » Tue May 01, 2007 5:58 pm

I need to renew the anti-fouling on my Swift and I am in the water year round and in an area prone to a lot of growth.
Do anyone have any products they favor or dislike?
Does anyone know anything about Copper Coat?
________
MARIJUANA VAPORIZER
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

antifouling, copper coat

Post by mikeprojectboat » Wed May 02, 2007 8:40 am

have read some bad press about coppercoat,in one if the boating mags, was going to put it on the boat I have been building,but have changed my mind.regards mike in STEAMING HOT MORFOLK.!!

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

anti-fouling

Post by CHERRY PIE » Wed May 02, 2007 12:29 pm

We have tried the cheapies over the years and worked hard putting it on, it took a while but we finally realised you can't beat International micron extra self eroding copper based, this paint works! a 2.5 litre tin does Cherry Pie twice. We get it from the local boat jumble it costs about £85.00 rrp £100.....Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed May 02, 2007 11:26 pm

I used International Cruiser Uno last season but it was rubbish. I’ve used the same as Gary this year (Micron Extra) and, so far, after 3 weeks everything looks good. It’s not recommender for trailer sailors though and, I have to admit, after less than a month, it’s hardly much of a test. If you can get hold of the March issue of Practical Boat Owner in your part of the world there’s an extensive buyer’s guide to antifouling.
Terry

windsong
Under way
Boat Name: Windsong
Sail Number: 133

Anti-Fouling

Post by windsong » Thu May 03, 2007 7:39 am

I use Compass High Performance antifouling @ £42 for 2.5ltrs and it works
quit well. It should be pointed out that Windsong is kept on a mooring in a
salt water estuary. Boats kept in brackish/fresh water may need a different
solution altogether.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 03 May 2007 00:26
To: forum-maintenance@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Anti-Fouling

I used International Cruiser Uno last season but it was rubbish. I've used
the same as Gary this year (Micron Extra) and, so far, after 3 weeks
everything looks good. It's not recommender for trailer sailors though and,
I have to admit, after less than a month, it's hardly much of a test. If you
can get hold of the March issue of Practical Boat Owner in your part of the
world there's an extensive buyer's guide to antifouling. Terry

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Sent using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com).

Read this topic online here:
http://www.swift18.org/Swift18/phpBB2/v ... =1756#1756

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

noodle
Site Admin

Post by noodle » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:45 pm

This year I have used International Cruiser Uno (bought it before seeing Terry's post) but I put two coats on, one thick one with a brush and the other with a roller.

It'll will be interesting to see how it lasts.

Andy

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

END OF SEASON - ANTIFOULING

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:36 pm

We took Cherry Pie home last Sunday, we managed to pack the sails/dodgers etc all nice and dry and did'nt see any rain at all, all went well on the trip back and the new suspension/hubs did the job. The antifouling painted on in April is barnacle free only the transducer to the depth sounder is covered in weed and barnacles....we thought it had packed in towards the end of our season, perhaps I can test it somehow in a container full of water now its been cleaned. Gary

Peter and Nick
Anchored

Re: anti-fouling

Post by Peter and Nick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:04 pm

CHERRY PIE wrote:We have tried the cheapies over the years and worked hard putting it on, it took a while but we finally realised you can't beat International micron extra self eroding copper based, this paint works! a 2.5 litre tin does Cherry Pie twice. We get it from the local boat jumble it costs about £85.00 rrp £100.....Gary
Gary when you say you did it twice is that 2 coats or 2 applications of two to three coats? We are about to antifoul, so does anyone actually know the underwater hull area or even depth underwater. I'm guessing at about 12m2 which would take about 4 litres for three coats We're wondering whether to take advantage of gaelforcemarines offer of 2X 2.5litres International Bottomcoat for £55-anyone any experience of this product. For the immediate future we'll be sailing only on a canal supply resevoir and don't seem to be experiencing much fouling. Glad of any help or advice -Nick

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

international micron extra yba 994

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:09 pm

micron extra 2.5 litre tin we put half of it on in 2007, only 1 coat, the other half 2008, again only 1 coat and it has performed really well. We bought a 750ml tin last year just in case we would not have enough but we did'nt need it. Last w/e I anti-fouled with the 750ml tin and just had enough albeit I thinned it just a little (not recommended by the makers) so will see if it works as well. Micron extra is expensive but shop around and 1x 2.5 litre tin will give you a good base and a second coat for good measure if your old anti fouling is not so good. Gary

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:20 pm

Actually, in the end the micron extra didn't prove that successful in the Menai Straits but as PBO had us down as a fouling hotspot may be its not surprising.
This year I have given Seajet 033 Shogun Plus a go which has been recommended by other locals in the area. With the required 2 coats I used half a 2.5 ltr tin so I should have enough for next year. I'll let you know how I get on.
Terry

jjspicer
Under way

Anti-Fouling

Post by jjspicer » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Try going to the Coppercoat web site, they have a calculator that may help.
John
?
http://www.coppercoat.com/application.htm#

?
On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Peter and Nick <forum-maintenance@swift18.org (forum-maintenance@swift18.org)> wrote:
CHERRY PIE wrote: We have tried the cheapies over the years and worked hard putting it on, it took a while but we finally realised you can't beat International micron extra self eroding copper based, this paint works! a 2.5 litre tin does Cherry Pie twice. We get it from the local boat jumble it costs about ?85.00 rrp ?100.....Gary

Gary when you say you did it twice is that 2 coats or 2 applications of two to three coats? We are about to antifoul, so does anyone actually know the underwater hull area or even depth underwater. I'm guessing at about 12m2 which would take about 4 litres for three coats We're wondering whether to take advantage of gaelforcemarines offer of 2X 2.5litres International Bottomcoat for ?55-anyone any experience of this product. For the immediate future we'll be sailing only on a canal supply resevoir and don't seem to be experiencing much fouling. Glad of any help or advice -Nick

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
________
Yamaha Mm6
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

last_tuesday
Under way

Re: anti-fouling

Post by last_tuesday » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Peter and Nick wrote: We're wondering whether to take advantage of gaelforcemarines offer of 2X 2.5litres International Bottomcoat for £55-anyone any experience of this product.
If you can wait until November, I'll let you know what it's like :)

I've given it a go for this season. Gael Force Marine is only 20 minutes from us, so I went through, and two 2.5 litre tins seemed like an lot of paint for a Swift, so I only bought one . I've put two coats on & I reckon there's enough left in the tin to do the same next year.

Our harbour is a little unusual when it comes to fouling though as the water shifts between fresh & sea. Sea water at high tide, and fresh, or brackish , from the river at low water. I'll report back at the season's end.

The one thing I did notice though, when I washed the roller & brush out, is that it does seem to have a decent amount of copper, or copper oxide content , judging by the residue left in the bottom of the paint kettle.