Outboard 'bang'

Discussions related to outboard engines
Kevinbwilko
Making way

Outboard 'bang'

Post by Kevinbwilko » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Has anybody experienced a problem when using fullish throttle (4HP Mariner 2 stroke, old) it bangs as though hitting something but isn't every minute or so. Outboard serviced and in v good condition. Any ideas?
Thanks

Danwash
Under way

Post by Danwash » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Its prob the front of the leg on the back of the well, try a bit of wood behind the transom.
Dan

Kevinbwilko
Making way

RIP

Post by Kevinbwilko » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Have now found out what the 'bang' is ... now 'was'!!

The gearbox was jumping under load and as the engine looks like an original at 35 plus years old it's not worth spending on it.

Just bought a Parson 4 stroke 4HP as my wife gave me permission as I promised it would be quieter and not as smelly so please do not reply to this post saying it would be easy to repair!!!!!!!!!

Danwash
Under way

Post by Danwash » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:47 pm

I got a honda 5hp under a similar pretence - Cough! hem, THATS RIGHT MRS WILCO ONLY GODD for the TRASH CAN ..... PROBABLY DANGEROUS TO USE IT ACTUALLY......... that do you ? ;) I relegarted the old mis trusted outboard to the dinghy , see if you can find a leg for it - DIY.....
Dan

Danwash
Under way

Post by Danwash » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:49 pm

OMG just realised my spelling is atrocious, put it down to typing on small keyboard and simple indolence.....
Dan

Phil De Troy
Making way

Outboard 'bang'

Post by Phil De Troy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:53 am

I use to trust only my sails. Engines may seem reliable, but anything can happen at any time. When I'm sailing in the Thames Estuary and other East Coast rivers, I use to install the engine on the tender. If there are two, the most reliable one is in the tender. Then if the boat goes aground (and a day sailing on the East Coast without grounding is a bad day), The spinnaher halyard is ready on a lifeline, so I can heel the boat quickly to take her in deep water faster than the tide can go. This includes some acrobatic figures, like entering Woodbridge marina with a draught 5 ft when there is only 4 ft above the sill, or getting out of a mooring in front of Shotley when we fell asleep after lunch and there is no more than 3 ft left...

Phil
----- Original Message -----
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 10:47 PM
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Outboard 'bang'

I got a honda 5hp under a similar pretence - Cough! hem, THATS RIGHT MRS WILCO ONLY GODD for the TRASH CAN ..... PROBABLY DANGEROUS TO USE IT ACTUALLY......... that do you ? Image I relegarted the old mis trusted outboard to the dinghy , see if you can find a leg for it - DIY.....

Dan

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Phil De Troy www.MicroClass.org

Kevinbwilko
Making way

Trap door

Post by Kevinbwilko » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:01 pm

I need an engine to negotiate moorings and to a very shallow jetty mooring and do not have / use a tender so do rely on engine.

ANYWAY ... in the bottom of the engine well appears to be two hinges and something like a fastener. Should there be a hatch type cover or what? Is it important? Can anybody explain or show pics of what it should look like ... OR like the pre owner of my boat, throw them away as they do not do anythingthing so I have nothing to worry about?!
Thanks in usual anticipation

Terry
Cruising

Re: Trap door

Post by Terry » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Hi Kevin,
Yes there should be a hatch which surrounds the outboard leg. It stops a lot of the outboards wash from being diverted into the well. I'm in to my second so far. The screws tend to vibrate loose and then you notice its disappeared. I've scoured the gallery for pictures and the best one is in Tadpole's collection http://www.swift18.org/~noentry/Swift18 ... bd4d0355e4 It's not that helpful but gives an idea. Hope this helps.
Terry
Kevinbwilko wrote:I need an engine to negotiate moorings and to a very shallow jetty mooring and do not have / use a tender so do rely on engine.

ANYWAY ... in the bottom of the engine well appears to be two hinges and something like a fastener. Should there be a hatch type cover or what? Is it important? Can anybody explain or show pics of what it should look like ... OR like the pre owner of my boat, throw them away as they do not do anythingthing so I have nothing to worry about?!

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Outboard 'bang'

Post by Elwyn Williams » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 pm

I have a slightly different view to this one, Apus Melba’s outboard well hull hatch Is virtually a full hatch flap with nothing more than a three or 4 finger slot removed on it’s leading edge (as standard) made from the same material as the surrounding hull aperture. The purpose of the flap was to reduce underwater drag whilst sailing only & outboard removed. When I did do racing with her I used to leave the outboard on a tender along with other weighty unneeded stuff so the flap remained bolted closed, only opened when the outboard was relocated back in the well. The small finger size slot is for cockpit drainage & hand hold to open the flap only.

If you do not intend to race the boat (without the outboard in position), then the flap/hatch becomes unnecessary (My view anyway).

Elwyn Williams

Sent: 12 September 2010 23:22
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Outboard 'bang'

Hi Kevin,
Yes there should be a hatch which surrounds the outboard leg. It stops a lot of the outboards wash from being diverted into the well. I'm in to my second so far. The screws tend to vibrate loose and then you notice its disappeared. I've scoured the gallery for pictures and the best one is in Tadpole's collection www.swift18.org/~noentry/Swift18/phpBB2 ... bd4d0355e4 It's not that helpful but gives an idea. Hope this helps.
Terry
Kevinbwilko wrote:
I need an engine to negotiate moorings and to a very shallow jetty mooring and do not have / use a tender so do rely on engine.

Elwyn Williams

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

outboard well hatch

Post by mikeprojectboat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:29 am

Hi, How about a grp hatch(thin plate with flange)that fits the opening,and has a locking bar with bolt/wingnut.? Push the plate through the opening,fit locking bar,tighten wing nut.!! Regards MIKE

gff_cook
Making way

Outboard 'bang'

Post by gff_cook » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:56 am

Hi Mike

Are you offering? How much? Dimensions could follow.

Geoff

On 14 September 2010 10:29, mikeprojectboat <forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)> wrote:
Hi, How about a grp hatch(thin plate with flange)that fits the opening,and has a locking bar with bolt/wingnut.? Push the plate through the opening,fit locking bar,tighten wing nut.!! Regards MIKE

Kevinbwilko
Making way

Thanks

Post by Kevinbwilko » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks for replies. Think I will wait until the boat comes home for winter and then I will have an excuse to go out any play on here for yet another little project!!!! :D