Spreader/shroud attachmentt

Discussions relating to rigging
Hiibbo
Anchored

Spreader/shroud attachmentt

Post by Hiibbo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:32 am

Does anyone have any pictures of the fitting that is used to secure the shroud to the end of the spreader. My spreaders have a small slot for the wire to fit into and then a small hole directly behind. I discovered that the previous owner had used some very narrow gauge wire using the little hole to secure the shroud to the end of the spreader and then covered in tape. I had to remove the tape and wire so that I could replace the rigging but wanted to do the job right. Any hints or tips would be helpful.

Does anyone live in the North West that still has an interest in Swift 18. I have mine moored on Windermere.

Thanks, Andy

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:40 am

Hi Andy,
Which mast have you got?
Mine is the tapered (Holt?) as supplied with the earlier boats.
There is a plastic fitting in the end of the spreader secured with a self tapper through the small hole, see pic.
I think I would be inclined to make new plugs for the end from hard plastic or aluminium.

Although I don't live in the North West, ( I live in Leeds) I keep my boat on Ullswater, just over the hill from you!

Cheers
Rob
Attachments
P3300008.JPG

steve
Anchored

Re: Spreader/shroud attachmentt

Post by steve » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi Andy
I live near Newby bridge at the southern end of Windermere but have my swift on Coniston, it is a bit quieter than windermere during the summer, I am a member of Coniston SC which is a friendly club and handy for my mooring. My spreader set up is the same as Robs. I used to race dinghies, and remember holt used to do some aluminium spreader ends for their adjustable spreaders which were slotted in the end and had a series of adjustment holes in them, you set them using a small stainless steel bolt with locking nut through the spreader case which they fitted inside of.

regards

Steve

Hiibbo
Anchored

Re: Spreader/shroud attachmentt

Post by Hiibbo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Hi Rob, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I don't have the end fitting that you have. I rang Holts and they told me that it's normal to use Monel Seizing wire. It's then covered with some tape and a spreader boot.

Thanks for the advice.

Andy