Shroud to mast attachment

Discussions relating to rigging
newpet
Run aground

Shroud to mast attachment

Post by newpet » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:47 pm

My outers and inners terminate at their top ends in talurit eyes that go thro a half inch stainless spacer in the mast and exit thro slots a little below. This involves using talurit eye fittings (not my favourites!) and perhaps more imoportantly bends the wire as it exits thro the mast slots (because the eye tries to slide outward under tension).
Is this normal? It looks horrible and offends my engineering sensibilities. But if it's worked over the years I'll accept it. Reason for the question is I'm replacing the standing rigging and want to get it right before I spend money!

Also, I still have an early Rotostay (halliard up the luff) and the forestay is plastic coated (as guard rail wire). Is this normal/necessary?
Thanks to anyone who can provide ideas/answers, Geoff

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 am

Hi Geoff,
The shroud attachment to the mast that you describe sounds to be the normal method, mine is like that.
I think the fore-stay is normally plastic coated as well, mine was, but I replaced it with plain (stranded) wire. I think the plastic coating is to protect the fore-stay from the ends of the rivets where the sections of the luff foil are joined together, my old fore-stay was marked at these points. I used heat shrink sleeving at the appropriate places on my new wire, cheaper!
Cheers
Rob

newpet
Run aground

Post by newpet » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:44 am

Greetings from the 'wrong' side of the pennines (Preston). Thanks Rob, that's really helpful. If that's the accepted fitting I ain't going to reinvent the wheel! Yes, the foil rivets have gouged thro the plastic coating on the forestay. Turns out 'guardrail' pvc coated wire is identical spec to uncoated (tho nearly 3 times the price!) so I'll probably use it.

My semi-tame retired rigger mate says the weak point of talurit eyes is where the standing wire exits the ferrule (oddly, not the horrible bend round the eye). This weak point about halves the break load of the wire in his estimation. Oh well!

The boat's a new toy and I've yet to get it on the water. Plan a few gentle jaunts on the Lakes in May to get used to 'downsized' sailing!
Geoff

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Geoff,
Give me a shout if one of your 'gentle jaunts' is to Ullswater!
You can't miss Vega with the multicoloured sails!
Cheers
Rob