New keel lift mech supplier

Discussions related to the tiller and/or keel.
Fishy23
Under way

New keel lift mech supplier

Post by Fishy23 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:56 pm

Got this company to make new 20mm acme lead screw and new collar knut together with new keel box frame for our old Swift. I’m very pleased with their work and price. By the way I’ve no dealings with this company. Just very satisfied with the results
SWP engineering
20 Kings Mount | Ramparts Business Park | Berwick-Upon-Tweed | TD15 1TQ | T: 01289 301110

DCordner
Under way
Boat Name: Bebop
Sail Number: GBR4376

Re: New keel lift mech supplier

Post by DCordner » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:03 am

Hi
Still having problems getting my keel lifting gear sorted with SYH. Just spoken to SWP about doing the same job for me, any idea of costs?
Regards, David

Fishy23
Under way

Post by Fishy23 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:33 pm

Hi David yes it cost me £470 but that included welding strengthening pads on alloy rudder stock holder he also made up a complete new support frame that straddles the internal keel housing that takes the weight of the keel when using the lead screw lift. He made an impressive job. It is a while back so you’ll have to check current price. Oh because he was local I didn’t have any carriage to pay also he used a cnc machine to cut the support frames out, so that frame was very accurate. Problems, well the only thing I forgot when I installed the keel back into boat was to renew the rubber packing washers that go against the grp keel box between the pivot bolt nuts and side of the case. She’ll be coming out this next week so it’s a little job for the winter but after carpeting sides vinyl roof renewal that’s easy peesy

DCordner
Under way

Post by DCordner » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi
Just phoned SYH to see how my keel repair is and they still haven't done it, plus the service director seemed quite off with me stating that there was a 7 week lead time to get the bar. They have had it 7 weeks!!! Anyway I have again spoken to SWP and spoke to a very helpful Graham who asked me to send some pictures which I have done. Hopeful he will remember your bits and I can get SYH to send the parts and get them made fingers crossed. Out of interest how long did they take?

Fishy23
Under way

Post by Fishy23 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi as it was winter I didn’t really bother with time as I was installing new headlining and cabin side van carpeting. Just looked at my diary it was two and half weeks. They did have to order the acme lead screw thread in as I wanted 20mm dia. As I said they fabricated new support plate and beefed up the rudder top frame.But like all fabricating / engineering companies it’ll depend on work in hand they have to do. As I said I’ve had no other contact with them apart from this boat stuff but they certainly made a very good job for me. I ordered some Perspex windows from another company on Tyneside and that took two weeks and even then they made a mistake over the tint.

DCordner
Under way

Post by DCordner » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 am

Hi Fishy

Well Bebop is finally fixed and I collected her from Suffolk Yacht Harbour yesterday. I have to say that SWP were excellent and would thoroughly recommend them if other Swift owners have problems with the keel mechanism. Only downside is that I am looking to put her away for the season, but with the new keel mechanism and new sails can't wait for next seasons.
David

Fishy23
Under way

Post by Fishy23 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Yes I found them very helpful and considering the work included a new ss frame to support the thrust lifting bearings and also welding strengthening pieces onto the alloy rudder frame I thought it was a cheap deal.