Which outboard in well with no mods

Discussions related to outboard engines
giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:52 am

Hi everyone
Out for a sail yesterday the gearbox failed on the trusty old Yamaha, and I think that's probably the catalyst for me to buy a new motor.
I want a new 4-stroke 4hp that fits in the well of my sno 313 boat and to be able to use the lid - preferably without any modifications to transom or lid.
Has anyone found a 4-stroke that fits the existing well and lid height? Looking carefully through previous posts on this topic I get the impression it's no longer possible and that the Mercury is probably best fit (but requires a raised lid).
It seems that outboard manufacturers are strangely reluctant to specifiy the dimensions of their motors on their websites, so all advice gratefully received...

best wishes,
martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:54 am

Quick search found this one (Honda) Martin it might be worth investigating.
http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/1/7/9 ... 6525724000
http://www.honda.co.uk/marine/23-10hp/B ... fications/
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

Post by whiteede » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:26 am

I have a Honda 5 in my barcky. Just fit tightly and it does sit higher than the cowling. See pics on Gallery2 Album Nuestro. What I like is it will just make against a 6 knot tide in the Teign estuary Devon.

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks for suggestions. Still thinking. The 2012 Tohatsu has a front placed gear shift which is tempting...
cheers,
martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Re: Which outboard in well with no mods

Post by Elwyn Williams » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:27 pm

Warning Guys & Girls be careful the latest 4 stroke Honda 4,5 & 6 Models definitely do not fit in a standard Swift18 well, I have more info & drawings if you want them. The latest F4, F5 or F6 Yamaha will fit if the rear carrying handle is removed. Although the well closure flap may interfere with the back of the power head, it is close! Again I have the dimensional drawings.

It's a shame the drawings cannot load directly onto this site.
Elwyn Williams

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Re: Which outboard in well with no mods

Post by Elwyn Williams » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:44 pm

An update on this, I decided to chop in my old Yamaha 4HP Long Shaft 2 stroke (4AC) and replace with a Yamaha F5 4 stroke, took the carrying handle off (2 Bolts) fits into the well great, no issues, the standard shaft model is more than adequate. External & internal fuel tank as standard, I also had the 12v charging output fitted.
Elwyn Williams