Lifting from trailer

Discussions related to the general maintenance of Swifts i.e. GRP repairs, headlings etc
mjatkey
Under way
Boat Name: Blue Skies II
Sail Number: ?

Lifting from trailer

Post by mjatkey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi, I've had some stands made up and a lifting system using stands, box section bar and some tractor jacks. The idea is to get Blu Skies II off her trailer high enough to drop the keel right down. Question is does any one know where I should position the stands at the stern. I had a look and quick try with the stands pushing up about 6'' from the furthest edge of but all that appeared to happen was the hull was flexing a lot.
I suppose question I have is can you lift a Swift from its trailer with adjustable stands or do I need to jack it up using the trailer like I have seen in some of the photos on this site, then place stands underneath. Does she need support under the skedge? Thanks Martin

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Re: Lifting from trailer

Post by robvega » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:49 am

Hi Martin,
I build cradles to lift and support Vega off the trailer, the rear one supports the boat under the skeg with pads under the hull to stop it tipping. This has worked ok with no apparent flexing. Have you tried placing the jacks under the bulkhead? It may not be suitable because of the double skin though!
Hope this helps,
Rob

Jake
Run aground
Boat Name: Chaos
Sail Number: 218

Post by Jake » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:57 pm

My boat stays in a marina on a pontoon mooring all year and gets a lift out via boatyard crane for its annual antifoul rather like a larger yacht. They place it on large blocks beneath skeg and just in front of the keel with shores beneath the four "corners" of the boat. It is high enough for the keel to be dropped fully for its annual treatment and of course access to the underside of the hull is supurb. I used to pay the boatyard for storage of the never used trailer and was delighted to pocket the insurance money when it was stolen. I have done this for 15 years at Deacons Boatyard on the Hamble, but am now at Mercury who refused to block off in the manner described because they felt it was too dangerous because the boat was considered to be too light in a storm and insisted on a proper cradle which I was not inclined to pay for so I took it to Deacons again. Hope this helps.

mjatkey
Under way

Post by mjatkey » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Thanks gents for replies. I got her off the trailer with the lift and stands I had made up worked a treat. How do I post some picys so I can show the finished? Thanks Martin

mjatkey
Under way

Post by mjatkey » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:38 pm

Update, photos now posted.