Just purchased SCOOT Sail no. 130

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
pancho
Under way

Post by pancho » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi, We have bought the above Swift 18 sail no. 130 named Scoot by last owner trying to trace its previous ownership. She lacks cushions and headlining,cooker and the original tapered mast, So looking for help with any of these items ?
We have a mooring at Deacons on the HAMBLE close to two other Swifts but would be keen to be in touch with other Swift 18's who are on the South Coast to see if a rally with a pub meal can be arranged at the Folly Inn IOW.
We would also be interested to hear from anyone that has raced a Swift.
Thanks for reading this and we hope to have some replies !!
Attachments
image.jpg
Work under way at HAMBLE Point

ianandtracey
Under way

scoot parts

Post by ianandtracey » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:57 am

Weve just sold Aries II sail number 129.
I have the cooker from her.
Its a thetford double burner and grill, stainless and fits the space perfect with about 3 or 4mm space each side. sits about inch and half proud over the berth but that caused no problem.
Ive kept the copper connecting pipe and elbows/reducer with it . also the mounting bolts and spacers for underneath.
We bought it brand new for about £160 ish and we boiled the kettle twice so still as good as new.
We have an advert on gumtree for £100.
Pictures could be better but if you want any more let me know.
Were in staffordshire but go to the new boat each weekend to dartmouth so are open to meeting up along the way for anyone if it helps.

Headlining.
I replaced ours and its a horrible job but well worth it in the end.
I have names and contacts where we bought our fabric and adhesive if it helps.info should be in our previous posts but if i can help then call me and ill try.
Ian
07538 999980

pancho
Under way

Post by pancho » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Ian,
Just need to speak to co owner who is in Cowes this week but sounds good to me, he has a house in Exmouth so it could work out well !
Any help/advise with head lining would be great it looks like a monster job.
Where is your Swift now ? What did you buy ?

John

Sent from John's iPad

On 6 Aug 2013, at 08:57, "ianandtracey" <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

Weve just sold Aries II sail number 129.
I have the cooker from her.
Its a thetford double burner and grill, stainless and fits the space perfect with about 3 or 4mm space each side. sits about inch and half proud over the berth but that caused no problem.
Ive kept the copper connecting pipe and elbows/reducer with it . also the mounting bolts and spacers for underneath.
We bought it brand new for about £160 ish and we boiled the kettle twice so still as good as new.
We have an advert on gumtree for £100.
Pictures could be better but if you want any more let me know.
Were in staffordshire but go to the new boat each weekend to dartmouth so are open to meeting up along the way for anyone if it helps.

Headlining.
I replaced ours and its a horrible job but well worth it in the end.
I have names and contacts where we bought our fabric and adhesive if it helps.info should be in our previous posts but if i can help then call me and ill try.
Ian
07538 999980

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

ianandtracey
Under way

headlining

Post by ianandtracey » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:32 am

Our swift has gone to rutland.
We bought a leisure 23sl. oh wow what a difference in space. Missus loves it.
Doesnt sail as well a swift but we wanted more space to stay onboard.

Beware with headlining. Only proper way is a total strip back to fibreglass.
On the flat headlining we used the existing ply panels to make new ones and stuck the fabric to that. epoxy resin 4 inch square pads at 12" intervals onto the coachroof and screwed the new panels to those. Thats the easy bit.

On the curved parts, held up the fabric in place then marked and cut it with enough spare. I used an adhesive called GB-Pro in a silicone gun directly onto the fibreglass(messy), spread it evenly and stuck the fabric onto that. looked into the contact adhesive stuff but wanted a bit of movement before it dried. this stuff gives about 15-20 mins movement to enable trimming and any adhesive left on the fibreglass cleans up with rag and white spirit.

The fabric we bought a roll of 8metres and only just had enough.
i recommend 10m is a must. cost about £80 ish was white with 4mm foam backing from a place in manchester on ebay shop called fantastic fabrics they aslo post i think. just looked and cant see it but google search and found it.
www.chcross.co.uk

The GB-Pro you'll probably need a good 2 boxes. about 10 tubes in each. think they were about £50 a box??? I know it starts mounting up. made by a company called bond-it, my local place was,
Vulcan industrial fasteners ltd,
Stone,
Staffordshire
01785 818494.

Horrible job , hope youre ready for it. belt sander and breathing apparatus lying upside down inside a swift cabin is not a nice situ.

All the best.
ian

Dont know

johnsti
Under way

Headlining replacement

Post by johnsti » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 am

I renewed mine on Curlew about 5 years ago and it is still like new. I posted the method used and suppliers on this site.
Essentially using the removed headlining as templates (but you could make new templates from paper) I replaced the whole lot by gluing the new headlining to prepared marine ply liners and then fixing these to battens which I had epoxied to the inside of the hull.
To fix the sponge lined headlining to the ply liners without crushing the sponge I used the spray glue usually used for fixing down foam backed carpets as recommended by the headlining manufacturer.

Fixing this way has a number of distinct advantages over fixing direct to the fibreglass

1 you create a thermal break which appears to minimise condensation
2 its much easier to fix floppy headlining to a board outside the boat !
3.If you want electrics for radio etc you can run the wiring unobtrusively
under the headlining
The headlining on the ply boards is incidentally fixed to the battens with "buttons" covered with the same material as the headlining and available from the manufacturer for a few pence each. This enables sections to be removed for access to add or change wiring if required.

I am sure there are some pics and details already on this site

Hope this helps

pancho
Under way

Post by pancho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for that detail it will help us a great deal, I can't say I am looking forward to the job, but it has to be done as we have no headlong at all.
Regards
John
Scoot sail no. 190

Sent from John's iPad

On 12 Aug 2013, at 10:56, "johnsti" <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

I renewed mine on Curlew about 5 years ago and it is still like new. I posted the method used and suppliers on this site.
Essentially using the removed headlining as templates (but you could make new templates from paper) I replaced the whole lot by gluing the new headlining to prepared marine ply liners and then fixing these to battens which I had epoxied to the inside of the hull.
To fix the sponge lined headlining to the ply liners without crushing the sponge I used the spray glue usually used for fixing down foam backed carpets as recommended by the headlining manufacturer.

Fixing this way has a number of distinct advantages over fixing direct to the fibreglass

under the headlining
The headlining on the ply boards is incidentally fixed to the battens with "buttons" covered with the same material as the headlining and available from the manufacturer for a few pence each. This enables sections to be removed for access to add or change wiring if required.

Hope this helps

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Post by John Hainsworth » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi,

Instaed of replacing the lining I sanded down the interior and epoxied a light scrim on to it and then coated with epoxy and white.pigment. It doesn't look as luxurious as vynil lining but it does mean that I can get to every nut and bolt if necessary.

John H

On 13/08/2013 19:22, pancho wrote:
Hi John,
Thanks for that detail it will help us a great deal, I can't say I am looking forward to the job, but it has to be done as we have no headlong at all.
Regards
John
Scoot sail no. 190

Sent from John's iPad

On 12 Aug 2013, at 10:56, "johnsti" forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org))> wrote:

: I renewed mine on Curlew about 5 years ago and it is still like new. I posted the method used and suppliers on this site.

under the headlining

Hope this helps

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3392 / Virus Database: 3211/6575 - Release Date: 08/13/13