Can the swift 18 been trailered and rigged single handed

Discussions related to getting the beast in and out of the water
craig
Run aground

Post by craig » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi all,

After an ill fated couple of years owning a Newbridge Venturer I am thinking of getting a swift 18. As I only live about 15mins away from the public slip at Poole I was thinking of keeping the boat at home and trailering to the slip every time I wanted to sail. This will hopefully keep the costs down which will be used as a plus point when selling the idea to my wife!.

My question is, Is it really possible to be able to trailer, rig and launch the boat on the occasions that I will be by my self?. How long does it take most people to rig and launch.

Also does anyone know of any Swift 18's for sail that are in good condition, due to my job I am out of the country a lot and also have a 3 month old daughter so I will not have much time to restore/ tidy up one.

Finally any Swift 18 owners in the Poole area that might be able to show me around there Swift 18 as I have never actually seen one.

Regards and happy christmas to you all.

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Post by Elwyn Williams » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi,

I have been trailer / sailing my swift for the past 25 years (not as much as I would like to but as allows,
As a youthful 20 something when I got my swift I found it a struggle but possible to raise the mast, rig, ship the loaded rudder, outboard & the rest. But now? hmm, I would definitely say it is a 2 person job to do it safely. Mine is not kited out with furling gear for the foresail (Slightly easier to raise & lower without).

From a 2 1/2 Hr Tow from home (Worcestershire) to the Hamble at Swanwick, where I mostly sail/launch my swift, to raise the mast sort out the trailer, lighting etc usually takes about 3/4 to 1 hr (2 Persons) I usually finish fastening the boom, sorting sheets etc afloat. usually at the marina, timing it just right to go for a meal & drink once finished.

Recovery wind & tide permitting somewhere similar, but this is definitely a 2 person job if windy or fast flowing cross tide across the public slipway.

I am lucky in that I have a friend living fairly close to Swanwick to assist if his shifts allow or several others further afield that like an excuse to get away to the Isle of Wight for a few days,

One selling point to the Mrs, we took my daughter as a baby over to the island, Pram + all the other necessities for a child for a fortnight + sleeping on the boat no problems. Just a word of advice though if you intend to bring young kids on the boat, try to get hold of one of the earlier / later swifts that have Toe rails fitted, it is easier to attach safety netting.

All The Best

Elwyn Williams

email :- elwynjrwilliams@aol.com

Or :- elwyn.williams@hotmail.co.uk (elwyn.williams@hotmail.co.uk)

Tel:

Home 01386 831471
Mobile +447762 600486 (MMS Enabled)

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for attention and use of the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, take any action on this e-mail. Internet communications are not secure and therefore the sender does not accept legal responsibility for the contents or attachments of this message.

In a message dated 07/12/2009 17:02:38 GMT Standard Time, forum-launch@swift18.org writes:
Hi all,

After an ill fated couple of years owning a Newbridge Venturer I am thinking of getting a swift 18. As I only live about 15mins away from the public slip at Poole I was thinking of keeping the boat at home and trailering to the slip every time I wanted to sail. This will hopefully keep the costs down which will be used as a plus point when selling the idea to my wife!.

My question is, Is it really possible to be able to trailer, rig and launch the boat on the occasions that I will be by my self?. How long does it take most people to rig and launch.

Also does anyone know of any Swift 18's for sail that are in good condition, due to my job I am out of the country a lot and also have a 3 month old daughter so I will not have much time to restore/ tidy up one.

Finally any Swift 18 owners in the Poole area that might be able to show me around there Swift 18 as I have never actually seen one.

Regards and happy christmas to you all.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Elwyn Williams

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:52 am

I have never had a problem rigging my boat solo and provided you have a suitable ‘A’ frame you should be OK(plenty of advice under the mast erection heading). Although in theory it takes about an hour to rig a swift, I’m usually still faffing around 2 hours later.
Getting the boat out on your own is a bit more tricky especially in any kind of wind and requires a not inconsiderable amount of luck (I imagine a bit like re-fueling a plane in flight!) I tried rigging on the day when I first got the boat but found it just too stressful and now keep her on a swing mooring.

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Launching and retrieving

Post by John Hainsworth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:53 pm

I launch and retrieve my Swift single handed but with difficulty.

The mast is heavy and tends to tip up when sliding the foot into the tabernacle. I lift it using the trailer winch and an A Frame with guy ropes through the genoa car blocks for stability.

I park my car on the level at the top of the slip and let the trailer down with a rope on the tow bar. Once the boat is afloat I then push it off the trailer with a rope on the bow and pull it to the pontoon.
Retrieving the boat is more tricky. I tie up on the pontoon then get the trailer, tie a rope from the winch post to the rear upright and then lower it into the water until there is enough depth to float the boat on. I then drive the boat carefully into position with the keel up,catch hold of the rope and pull the boat forward until it sits in its rollers. Then I climb off the bow on to the trailer and paddle ashore and haul the trailer out on to the level before hitching the the trailer to the tow bar. Things usually go wrong but not drastically.