Outboard Well Size -

Discussions related to outboard engines
daviddlord

Outboard Well Size -

Post by daviddlord » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:23 am

-I am looking for new outboard for my Swift 18 sail number 407.
-I had preference for the Honda 5HP 4-stroke with charger BUT when I measured up I find that the outboard well is 38cm long & the Honda is 41cm.
-I measured up an older Swift that uses the Honda and found it's Well is 41cm. So the Honda just fits. Looks like slight change in build between
Swift models .
- Can anybody with a 400 series Swift recommend a 4 or 5 HP 4-stoke that fits ?
- Can anybody suggest an current 4-stroke engine that will fit ?

shaun
Under way

Post by shaun » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi,
I have just purchased a Mercury 4hp and it fit fine. the only thing is that I have had to raise the cover about 2'. I looked at getting a 5hp as they are the same size (I think it is only the jet which are different).

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 pm

I've just purchased a 5hp Tohatsu (which is the same as both Mercury & Mariner just re-badged.) It's true that the 4, 5&6hp engines are all the same with different carburation and I've seen 4's upgraded 5hp on ebay but, if you try it, the manufacturers won't touch the engine when anything goes wrong.
Also, it’s more than 2" higher if, like me, you’ve raised the transom. My cover only just fits after repositioning so it just clears the tiller (even then it has to be tipped back a bit!)

gff_cook
Making way

Outboard Well Size -

Post by gff_cook » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:56 pm

Hello Terry

Do you have photos/dims of your transom and cover mod?

Geoff

Sent: 22 September 2009 15:35
To: forum-outboards@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Outboard Well Size -

I've just purchased a 5hp Tohatsu (which is the same as both Mercury & Mariner just re-badged.) It's true that the 4, 5&6hp engines are all the same with different carburation and I've seen 4's upgraded 5hp on ebay but, if you try it, the manufacturers won't touch the engine when anything goes wrong.
Also, it’s more than 2" higher if, like me, you’ve raised the transom. My cover only just fits after repositioning so it just clears the tiller.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Re: Outboard Well Size -

Post by Terry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:14 pm

I only fitted the new motor just before our "Swift regatta" last week so modifications are still in development as yet! I'll take a Photo of the cover and the stand next time I'm down at the boat.
gff_cook wrote:Hello Terry

Geoff

Also, it’s more than 2" higher if, like me, you’ve raised the transom. My cover only just fits after repositioning so it just clears the tiller.

gff_cook
Making way

Outboard Well Size -

Post by gff_cook » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Many thanks. Is your enw engine short or standard shaft?

Geoff

Sent: 22 September 2009 16:14

I only fitted the new motor just before our "Swift regatta" last week so modifications are still in development as yet! I'll take a Photo of the cover and the stand next time I'm down at the boat.

gff_cook wrote: Hello Terry

Geoff

To: forum-outboards@swift18.org (forum-outboards@swift18.org)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:17 pm

As I understand it, Tohatsu's & Co come in Standard, now called Short (17"), long & Ultra-long. The old short shafts (15") are no longer produced (which is a pity.) Mine is the shortest 17" sail drive job.

[quote="gff_cook"]Many thanks. Is your enw engine short or standard shaft?

Geoff

gff_cook
Making way

Outboard Well Size -

Post by gff_cook » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Many thanks

Geoff

Sent: 22 September 2009 17:18

As I understand it, Tohatsu's & Co come in Standard, now called Short (17"), long & Ultra-long. The old short shafts (15") are no longer produced (which is a pity.) Mine is the shortest 17" sail drive job.

[quote="gff_cook"]Many thanks. Is your enw engine short or standard shaft?

Geoff

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

ENGINE SIZE

Post by mikeprojectboat » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi all, If anybody is interested,could make a grp insert to increase outboard engine bay.?(small blister insert in the stern well area) Did offer this some time back but had no interest!! so did not bother further. regards mike in VERY DRY NORFOLK. its so dry the farmers are getting dust clouds when they plow.!!

Terry
Cruising

Re: ENGINE SIZE

Post by Terry » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:38 pm

Dam, If I'd remembered your gizzmo at the NW boat show I could have bought the Honda 5hp for the special offer price of £750.

Are they using camels yet to pull the ploughs?
mikeprojectboat wrote:Hi all, If anybody is interested,could make a grp insert to increase outboard engine bay.?(small blister insert in the stern well area) Did offer this some time back but had no interest!! so did not bother further. regards mike in VERY DRY NORFOLK. its so dry the farmers are getting dust clouds when they plow.!!

bob clarkson
Under way
Boat Name: Tarragon
Sail Number: 407

Post by bob clarkson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:22 pm

Swift 18 sail number 407 now has a Yamaha 5hp with charging system.
Bob.