winches

Looking for a hard to find part, try posting your request here
John Hainsworth
Cruising

winches

Post by John Hainsworth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:22 pm

One of my Barlow winches came apart under pressure and I am looking for replacement. Can anybody help?

John

Artemis
Under way

Barlow Winches

Post by Artemis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi, I had Barlow winches on my Westerly, they were excellent and well worth keeping going if possible. They are no longer in production but it may be possible to get parts from Hutton winches, they are Australian. You could also try Trafalgar yachts, Fareham, in Hampshire, who are very helpful in terms of everything to do with Westerly boats, which used Barlow winches.

If you have lost parts then there is a problem but if it is a matter of getting the winch apart and getting it back together then there is helpful detail on the internet re the servicing of the Barlow winch. I found that with a little care, the job was easy and when I sold the boat the winches ran really well.

The internet also has a parts list, which will help you to identify which winch you have. I guess it will be a small one. I put in a Google of Barlow yacht winch UK and this got me to the right place.
Good luck.
Peter

If you could buy the correct Barlow winch on ebay and cheap enough this may be a solution and you could use some of the parts. It is possible that an old winch is simply not working because it is gummed up with hard old grease.

If you do service a winch, as you probably know, you must protect the area around the winch so you do not lose the very small parts.
Peter