Ullswater Trip

An area for general chit chat on any old subject
Jstoppy
Anchored

Ullswater Trip

Post by Jstoppy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:35 am

Please excuse the writing from two camps but I write acticles for both clubs I am members for. Please enjoy.

My recollections for the Ullswater trip with the Halifax Canoe Club (HXCC) and my other interest in Sailing “Little Hog” with Glasson Sailing Club (GSC).

Set off Friday morning at 07.00hrs to Glasson Sailing Club with the obligatory breakfast at Mac Ds. Arrived Glasson at 09.30hrs. I had Lee and Tall Matt as helpers. We packed up Little Hog, 18ft Trailer Sailer, and secured her to the trailer for her road trip. We had a drink of tea and watched the tide come in; Matt could not believe the speed. We then set off for Ullswater and arrived in great time. Left Little Hog for an hour and went to find other HXCC Members. Manage to find the Boycie’s. With an assembled crew of helpers we stepped the mast and launched and moored on the jetty without a problem. We then waited for others to arrive, which they did. A note for the diary it is extremely expensive at Waterside Camp Site and will not be back, £45 for a family of 4 per night?????????

Woke up Saturday had breakfast the wind was strong with occasional gusts. No good for paddling so went sailing up to Glenridding and back. Easy and fast down wind and a tacking nightmare coming back. We were sailing for five hours, great with no tide to worry about. I have found I have new crew John E the galley “””””””” and Matt the crew “”””””””. We had the obligatory BBQ for tea with more members arriving during the evening.

On Sunday it was the official paddling trip to Pooley Bridge for a drink at the Sun Inn. We had seven paddlers (3 more if you include those already in Pooley). The wind again was strong so we hugged the coastline in the kayaks to minimise effort. Although John E had his sea kayak it was easy for him until he had to get out, it was swim???? the water was above his knees. Met up with the bank support at the pub had a couple of drinks and a sandwich and then the return. We had cunning plan, raft up the kayaks and pull out a windbreak with two sticks at either end and we were off, kayak sailing. It was awesome, incredible and fast. Unusually we had no true swimmers. Yes another BBQ and fire.

On the Monday the wind was 25mph with gusts of 42mph, I am sure it was stronger; paddling was out so it was decided to either walk or sail to Howtown. I set off in Little Hog not knowing the epic I was going to face, should have realised really I was the only one on the water. Down wind first for what I thought was going to be a fast easy sail. A full training run for most of the way, then we were on a broad reach when all hell broke loose on Little Hog. A gust of wind from behind spun Little Hog 180’ back into wind with water over the gunnels and windows, with crew and me sprawled over the deck. There was nothing I could do to stop Little Hog spinning round. I settled everyone down, even those who were saying they could not breath in the middle of the lakes??? And turned back to a broad reach to have it happen again and we tried again but gave up after the third. Dropped the sails after the genoa had started to shred. We arrived at Howtown with stories to tell and moored tied to a tree on the beach. The journey back was going to be interesting. After a pint at the pub and sandwiches three of us returned on Little Hog, Matt, Den & Myself. I had no spare genoa or storm jib so only had the Mail Sail, this I knew was going to be difficult sailing into wind with Little Hog. The Main was fully reefed and Little Hog still heeled to the gunnels. We struggled to tack through the wind. We had to leave it late to tack and did not make it through the wind and were grounded; with a bit of persuasion Little Hog found her way back to deeper water. At this point we dropped the main sail and tried to return under power. The wind would turn Little Hog and the swell for a lake was huge with bow of Little Hog piling through the waves. Moored on a buoy refuelled and returned to the campsite, with lots of lessons learned and coupled with some exciting, scary moments. Monday evening involved sail repair and BBQ.

On Tuesday we went to Penrith in the morning and had Battered Haggis for lunch. We returned to paddled in the afternoon the wind was still strong. Little Hog turning into a speed boat dragging kayakers behind her. Both Rooster and Side Surf Jim capsized but rolled with Guru Kid Kayak Skiing all the way. The one who could not breath returned to the water for a paddle too.

On the Wednesday we returned home via Glasson returning Little Hog to her berth. Plus enjoying Cumberland & Mash from the Victoria Inn. Set off a bit late for the rush hour around Manchester but we had a easy run.

We had a great trip to Ullswater with the HXCC, if not a little expensive, so watch out we will be planning a new trip and looking for new suggestions for a paddling venue. The wind was extremely strong this time and paddling was not easy in these conditions so a big pat on the back to those who dared.

These days I am torn between my love for Kayaking and the thrill of sailing but this trip had the best of both worlds. I hope all those who Little Hog gave a sailing experience to enjoyed their experiences and like me develop a passion for all water sports.

Author

John Stopford
HXCC & GSC Member

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Very much enjoyed reading about your adventures John, it took me back to a similar situation when we were knocked flat in Cherry Pie, water over the gunnels....etc, it happened at time (15 years ago) when we did'nt have a pushpit fitted and we felt very vulnerable. We now have a pushpit fitted and feel more enclosed....regards Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

shaun
Under way

Post by shaun » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:25 am

Thanks for the story. I am very interested in how you managed to get afloat on Ulswater. Could you give me a little more detail (i.e. launch site, moorings, costs etc) thanks.

sundance
Anchored

Post by sundance » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:47 pm

Hi Shaun,

I have a swift moored at Eusemere bay on Ullswater which is at the northern end very close to pooley bridge. You can launch at Eusemere getting access through Parkfoot campsite, (go thru Pooley Bridge and head towards Howtown) they just charge about a fiver for a day ticket although if you choose to camp I think its free. Its a shingle beach and quite shallow (no jetty) but we usually launch there OK and I only have a normal family car ...not a 4x4.

Once launched you can leave your car and trailer in a field adjacent to the bay.

There are three swifts moored there and there are usually moorings available if you want one for the season..... don't know if they do weekend rates or anything like that. (you can get the rates from Dalemain...they own the rights and have a website... they are very friendly and helpful)

If you carry on past parkfoot there is another campsite where you can launch and then the yacht club where you can also launch....

on the other side of the lake on the main road side there is ullswater marine and fairfield marine where you can launch. they also have a range of options for mooring and again both have websites for details.

There are a number of nice bays on Ullswater where you can overnight at anchor or wind the keel up and nudge onto the shore depending on the wind direction.

You can also tie up at the jettys in Glennridding behing the "Inn on the Lake" but they do get pretty busy.

There is also a boat hire place and st patrick's landing stages down at Glenridding ... never enquired as to whether you can launch there but to be honest if your towing the north end is far more accessible anyway.

Hope this is useful