Hello

An area for general chit chat on any old subject
sundance
Anchored

Hello

Post by sundance » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 am

Hi,

Only just discovered the forum and registered yesterday so thought I would put on a quick post to introduce myself. My name’s Ian, I own Sundance (Sail No.41), have done since late 2003 when I bought her from Conwy. After a brief spell of trail sailing, we now keep her on a mooring in Eusemere bay (I think that’s how you spell it !) at the very northern end of Ullswater, close to Pooley Bridge. Given that my usual crew are my two sons, Finn (aged 10) and Evan (aged 8 ) we generally potter around the lake, but I’m hoping we may get more adventurous as the boys get a little older.
I think Sundance is a pretty decent example of the Swift 18, although that has little to do with me, she was in pretty fine nick when we bought her…I think she may have previously been called “Mr Christian” so if anyone knows anything of her early days that would be interesting. I may try and upload some pictures to the Gallery for interest.

I am also going to put a post on the section on Keels and would be grateful if anyone has any advice.

giraffe
Making way

Hello

Post by giraffe » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Hi Ian, Geoff and lake sailors,
I'm thinking of mooring my new Swift on one of the Cumbrian Lakes, either Windermere, Coniston, or Ullswater. But which one? I was wondering if any lake enthusiasts could comment on their winds and sailing qualities please?
thanks,
martin

ps many thanks for the newcomer advice so far!

sundance wrote:
Hi,

Only just discovered the forum and registered yesterday so thought I would put on a quick post to introduce myself. My name’s Ian, I own Sundance (Sail No.41), have done since late 2003 when I bought her from Conwy. After a brief spell of trail sailing, we now keep her on a mooring in Eusemere bay (I think that’s how you spell it !) at the very northern end of Ullswater, close to Pooley Bridge. Given that my usual crew are my two sons, Finn (aged 10) and Evan (aged 8 ) we generally potter around the lake, but I’m hoping we may get more adventurous as the boys get a little older.
I think Sundance is a pretty decent example of the Swift 18, although that has little to do with me, she was in pretty fine nick when we bought her…I think she may have previously been called “Mr Christian” so if anyone knows anything of her early days that would be interesting. I may try and upload some pictures to the Gallery for interest.

I am also going to put a post on the section on Keels and would be grateful if anyone has any advice.

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi Ian
Welcome to the group, I keep 'Vega' at Fairfield Marine on Ullswater, not far from you. I'll keep an eye out for you, You can't miss 'Vega' with the multicoloured sails! I think there are 7 Swifts on Ullswater. A couple of weeks ago one wednesday morning, there were only 3 sailing boats out on the lake at the northern end, all swifts! You're welcome to join the fleet!!
Rob

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Which Lake?

Post by robvega » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Martin
Just seen your message asking which lake to take your Swift to! I chose Ullswater as its easy to get to being 6 miles from J40 of M6, and much quieter than Windermere, however the wind can be quite shifty & gusty, with the mountains close by, & with three distinct legs to the lake can vary in different parts of the lake. Makes life interesting though! The Northeastern end gets the steadiest winds where the Yacht club & most of the moorings are. I read somwhere that Coniston gets the steadiest winds of the three, perhaps others could comment on Windermere & Coniston.
Rob

sundance
Anchored

Post by sundance » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Hi Martin,

I originally trailed sundance to Coniston, thought it was a really nice place to sail but at the time there were no moorings available as far as I could find, this was a few years ago so things could have changed.

I have never sailed on Windermere but two guys who fitted our kitchen kept a Jaguar 21 on there and raved about it... I think the availability of lots of waterside pubs and accommodation was as mutch a factor as the actual sailing though.

We have found Ullswater to be great...this is our fourth season .. as Rob says the winds can shift about a lot and there are three distinct sections which seem to be able to have different wind conditions on the same day ! It all adds to the fun for me and the fact that the character of the lake is so different at either end makes it feel like you've been somewhere if you go off to the other end. Its much quieter than Windermere (which is I suppose good or bad depending on your view) but there are plenty facilities nearby.

I don't race so I can't comment on what the yacht club events are like...

As Rob says its great for ease of access just off the M6 and I suppose the final attraction is that my mooring is much cheaper than the guys on Windermere were paying for theirs !!