Headlining

An area for general chit chat on any old subject
Rondonay
Cruising

Headlining

Post by Rondonay » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:01 pm

Terry, this is really a query for you. I need to face up to the headlining issue, and have just read your thread on the old site. How well has the job fared since you finished it? I usually use Hawke House for textiles on the boat and think that they hold up well in the environment, is this true of their glue system?Did you strip all the old glue/foam or just do key areas?

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:17 pm

Hi Pauline, Yes so far the job is holding up fine. I did rub off all the old glue and a right B****** of a job it was too. Before I decided to do the job I had several attempts at sticking the old stuff back on but it never worked, so I wouldn’t try skimping, it could be an expensive mistake. I used a wire brush head on an angle grinder which proved quite effective at getting glue/foam off (go easy though or you might end up grinding through to daylight.) All the stuff from Hawk house was spot on, they were very helpful on the phone and they also gave me a really useful hand out. I made patterns from the old stuff but some pieces were quite unwieldy and I needed a lot of dry runs at it before I plucked up the courage to go for it (you only get one chance because, once it’s stuck, that’s it!) to get the longest bits into the boat I balanced each of them on a length of 7 x 1 timber but I was doing it on my own. I believe some owners did the job in smaller bits, I wish I’d have thought of that.
Basically, getting the glue off is an evil job and sticking the stuff back on is scary but judging by the sail you made I suspect you’ll manage superbly. Best of luck.
Terry

Rondonay
Cruising

Headlining

Post by Rondonay » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:53 am

Thanks for the advice Terry. Better face up to the job. :0(

johnsti
Under way

Re - lining

Post by johnsti » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:41 am

Hi

I used hawke house when I fully refitted Curlew. They were most helpful,have all the bits like covered buttons, and the product is first class.
Headlinings are not too much of a problem as they are on Ply except for 1 piece but I must admit I chickened out of gluing directly onto the sided.
Instead I epoxied blocks onto the sided and as with he headlinings glued material to ply which was then screwed to the ply. I also placed a condensed foam filler in between the ply linings and the hull.
This system has a number of advantages
1. Ply adheres and stays adhered to ply better than the bare hull
2. Its much easier and cleaner getting pre glued panels into place
3. if you want to run electrics its much easier to run behind panels and it makes checking , adding, replacing equipment if required much easier

Ian
photo's of Curlew in gallery

johnsti
Under way

Re - lining

Post by johnsti » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:43 am

Hi

I used Hawke House when I fully refitted Curlew. They were most helpful,have all the bits like covered buttons, and the product is first class.
Headlinings are not too much of a problem as they are on Ply except for 1 piece but I must admit I chickened out of gluing directly onto the sides.
Instead I epoxied blocks onto the sides and as with he headlinings glued material to ply which was then screwed to the plyblocks on the hull. I also placed a condensed foam filler in between the ply linings and the hull.
This system has a number of advantages
1. material adheres and stays adhered to ply better than the bare hull
2. Its much easier and cleaner getting pre glued panels into place
3. if you want to run electrics its much easier to run behind panels and it makes checking , adding, replacing equipment if required much easier

Ian
photo's of Curlew in gallery

Rondonay
Cruising

Headlining

Post by Rondonay » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi Ian,Yes I remember you did that, it looks good. At present I am planning to glue to hull where relevant but the epoxy/block idea does sound interesting. I have samples from Hawke House and am hoping to match roof lining to new sides if possible.