Drying Mooring problems

An area for general chit chat on any old subject
budstipes
Run aground

Drying Mooring problems

Post by budstipes » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:59 pm

I have a drying mooring in Kent and, when moored, must raise the keel to allow the boat to take the ground. I'm worried that this will make the boat susceptible to capsize and wondered if anyone out there has found a solution.

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:47 pm

Even with the keel up the centre of gravity is still low enough to make the boat very stable. The only problem with drying moorings is that sometimes mud or stones get jammed in the keel box and prevent the keel being wound down.

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Drying mooring

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:09 pm

Should not be a problem with a swinging mooring, I read somewhere years ago about a swift moored on a trot (moored fwd/aft) that capsized in extreme circumstances. I have found when drying out that the bumping on the sand could prove more problamatic if the waves were of a good height. Has anyone experimented with the use of small fenders dragged under the hull? it may be a good idea in order to prevent any possible damage to the keel bolt mounting if the boat is left over the winter period and the associated bad weather. When we dry out on the beach we usually place a fender under each chine before the water leaves and leave them tied on untill afloat, the reason for this is to prevent a sudden lurch due to weight distribution and possible hull damage on the opposite side from a sharp stone or other object that could cause damage. By the way we have spent a night or two on our mooring in some very high winds against tide so that we were side on to the waves...albeit very very uncomfortable with a great deal of rocking we did not feel in danger of going over. Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

dry mooring Y

Post by mikeprojectboat » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:31 am

What type of keel do you have,?as some of the boats had an earlier type.your keel sould have a thick leading edge,increasing to thebase of the keel, so when down you have maximum stability,and when wound up, the thick leading edge,gives an extra bit of stability over a normal keel shape(aerofoil shape)some of the earlier swifts did have a few problems as the boats were on swinging moorings and with the keel up ,the centre of gravity came up too!!!add a nice tall mast,25foot plus and some strong windsand sea,you could have a problem.!! REGARDS MIKE IN WET AND COLD NORFOLK!!

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 pm

I never thought of that! This is what the keel you describe looks like, by the way.
Attachments
Keel end on.jpg