Keel Position whilst Sailing

An area for general chit chat on any old subject
Puffin
Anchored

Post by Puffin » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:24 pm

hopefully I will be lauching Puffin very shortley and as she is my first bigger boat, I would like to cast adrift the following question. I currently sail a dinghy with a centre board , and adjust the centre board in relation to the conditions and to the point of sail that I am on. as the swift has a similar albeit heavier set up, Do you adjust the keel depth accordingly or is it a case of up for shallow water or drying out or fully down for sailing. Sorry if this seems like a silly question but believe me there are plenty more where that came from!! :D

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:04 pm

Hi PuffinFully down for sailing is the answer in my book. Enjoy your launch!

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

KEEL POSITION

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:37 pm

I suggest you sail with it fully down as well, my theory is that the less you mess about with the keel the better...pop a little 3 in one oil in the winding cup and watch it dissapear then wind it up or down much easier! Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:06 pm

I few weeks ago I was sailing with a big blow behind me going agin the tide. With a big following sea the boat was careering about all over the place and things were getting quite interesting. If I’d had some crew I might have experimented with the keel up, as it was, I couldn’t let go of the tiller long enough to go below.