Sailing Around Ireland

An area for general chit chat on any old subject
Roger Curry

Sailing Around Ireland

Post by Roger Curry » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:24 pm

I have just bought Swift 405, a Shetland boat in pristine condition, with the intention of sailing her around Ireland over the next couple of seasons. I am currently fitting it out for this purpose.
I have not sailed a Swift before and would be intrested to hear from any one who has cruised a Swift in unsheltered waters prone to the Atlantic swell - how does she handle in various sea and wind contitions, has she any vices etc.
Are there any modifications you can recommend to the basic boat to enable her to cope better with exposed sailing?
All experience would be gratefully received!
Roger Curry

gailnchris

Re : Sailing around Ireland

Post by gailnchris » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:08 am

Roger

This sounds like quite an undertaking, I'm sure once the site gets underway there will be plenty of suggestions for you. I sail along the south coast where the swell tends to be very short and steep and makes for a very wet ride at times, for this a spray hood is essential. Plus it has the strange elusion of making the boat feel bigger!

I consider the boat to be pretty much vice free but the balance of main to foresail as the wind picks up is critical and is worth experimenting with.

New cruise reports are few and far between, could you be persuaded to set up a page in the reports section adding instalments as you progress ?

Good luck, look forward to hearing how your plans take shape.

Chris

(gailnchris)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi Roger
I’ve never sailed around Ireland but having read Roger Oliver’s (PBO) recent account in a Sadler 26, the place sounds epic. It might be worth having a look in the newsletter (see Articles – Newsletters) there’s stuff on west coast of Scotland, in particular, the Ardnamurchan Peninsula and the west coast of Skye which sound similar (mast disappearing in the troughs etc!)
If you survive you must write something for us. Best of luck
Terry
PS Swifts have problems heaving to. (They don't)

Havoc
Anchored

Sailing Around Ireland

Post by Havoc » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:15 am

Roger did you manage to sail around Ireland ? Just got back from Loch Derg / Loch Ree.
Dave Simmons