Solar Panels

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

Solar Panels

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am

Hi all, Who has a solar panel on their boat, are they any good,? Keep seeing them on ebay(ones with a handle on each end,look like a tray) But do they charge the battery,? The specs seem a bit vague on charge rate..?? Hope to have some pics of the boat soon in the water, turning out to be a major prob to get it finished, if its not the boat then its housing my daughter(AT UNI) or other housing issues. regard to all mike in parched norfolk

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:41 pm

I use a 5w flexi panel which I've had for 5 years. I just use it to top the battery up when the boat's moored and use a charging coil when I'm motoring. These are my only power sources over the summer and the only time I've had a flat battery is when I left the gps plotter on for a fortnight. My electrical audit is:
LED nav lights,
2 x 5wcabin lights,
Clipper depth/log,
VHF,
GPS Plotter
Autohelm
Compass light
On occasions, if my hands have been in water for some time I can actually get a bit of a shock from it!

By the way, just to cheer you up, my eldest daughter is 31 this year and has just finished uni and and finally got a joib. With a bit of luck she might just be closing her account with Bank of Mum & Dad.

David mclardie
Under way

Post by David mclardie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi all i have a flexi solar pannel its a 15w one i only put it out when we are on the boat and thats all i have to charge my battery i had a glass pannel one but smashed it while sailing ......so i think the flexi pannel one is best for me ....

Regards

David