Sailing on the Broads

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
AFG
Making way

Sailing on the Broads

Post by AFG » Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 pm

There's been a lot of chat about sailing on the Broads in the Forum and as it's not far away from our base on Rutland Water, we plan to go there for a long weekend or week in the summer as a our first experience of trailing and sailing.

I know the Broads pretty well having done the 3 Rivers Race for a few years, and in fact it's where I started sailing. But never having Swifted there, I thought I'd ask for advice from those of you who know the area well.

My initial thoughts are to use a slip somewhere near Horning or Wroxham and then visit Wroxham Broad, Little Hoveton, S Walsham etc. What do you think? Any suggestions for places to launch and recover? Stay overnight? Good pubs near a mooring for an evening meal etc?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Tony G

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Fri May 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Hi Tony
We,ve taken 'Vega' to the Broads a couple of times, last time we met up with Dave & Cathy on 'Fancy Free' & launched at Sutton. Its the local parish slip & not expensive, & the parking for car & trailer is free.

Personaly I would steer clear of the 'Honypot' places like Wroxham & Horning & head for the quieter broads of Hickling & Horsey beyond Potter Heigham bridge.

As for pubs, I understand that many are suffering in the current economic climate & some have closed! Pauline who keeps 'Rondonay' on Ranworth may know more.

Hope this helps
Rob

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Fri May 08, 2009 10:59 pm

ps. See previous thread 'Norfolk Swifts' on this forum!
Rob

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Fri May 08, 2009 11:14 pm

Also try this from the old Yahoo group.
http://www.swift18.org/Swift18/phpBB2/v ... ht=norfolk
Rob (again!)