NEW BRONZE WINDING GEAR /OUTBOARD INSERT

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

Post by mikeprojectboat » Tue May 05, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi all, Just had a chat with a swift owner, who has the same prob as many others,...THREAD STRIPPED FROM THE BRONZE SADDLE,..... since I have been building my swift,and chatting on this site, I think about five people have had the same prob,in view of this and the age of the boats ,(increasing issue)What thoughts has anybody on me supplying a stock replacement,? The bronze saddle pre-threaded,or a complete unit ,or a bronze insert(NEED TO BRAZE IN) ? on the other issue, would anybody be interested in a grp insert, for the outboard engine well.? This would be a rectangle grp panel with a large blister(INSET) this would help those who want a 5hp outboard,but find the space too small.!!
Last edited by mikeprojectboat on Tue May 05, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gff_cook
Making way

Post by gff_cook » Tue May 05, 2009 5:07 pm

Hello Mike

Could be interested in one grp blister panel and one pre-threaded bronze saddle – I don’t need either just yet but would be definitely interested.

I don’t suppose the blister panel allows mounting the engine the 4” or so higher that some owners have recommended?

All best regards

Geoff Cook
(ps. the rudder you made 2 years ago is still doing fine)

Sent: 05 May 2009 17:40
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] NEW BRONZE WINDING GEAR /OUTBOARD INSERT

Hi all, Just had a chat with a swift owner, who has the same prob as many others,...THREAD STRIPPED FROM THE BRONZE SADDLE,..... since I have been building my swift,and chatting on this site, I think about five people have had the same prob,in view of this and the age of the boats ,(icreasing issue)What thoughts has anybody on me supplying a stock replacement,? The bronze saddle pre-threaded,or a complete unit ,or a bronze insert(NEED TO BRAZE IN) ? on the other issue, would anybody be interested in a grp insert, for the outboard engine well.? This would be a rectangle grp panel with a large blister(INSET) this would help those who want a 5hp outboard,but find the space to small.!!

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

helenandpete
Under way

[Swift 18] NEW BRONZE WINDING GEAR /OUTBOARD INSERT

Post by helenandpete » Tue May 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Mike

I would be very interested in a complete bronze / screw unit. I am going to inspect mine on Tadpole tomorrow but would change it anyway as its so important.
Best Regards

Peter

AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm

As a newby - What's a Bronze Saddle?

Tony G

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed May 06, 2009 1:23 pm

When you wind the keel up you are turning a long threaded bolt which goes through the bronze saddle and in doing so lifts the keel. Have a look in the gallery under swift parts - keel 1.
Terry

AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Wed May 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks!

giraffe
Making way

Post by giraffe » Thu May 07, 2009 8:22 am

Hi Mike
yes i think i'd be interested in both.
Not sure what the difference is between bronze saddle pre-threaded,or a complete unit?
Also, sorry but I can't quite picture the grp insert height?

cheers,
martin
Martin
S313 "Aperitif"

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

engine bay insert (GRP) bronze saddle for lifting keel

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu May 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Just to clarify my thoughts,my idea is to make new cast bronze saddle (housing)that the s/s threaded rod fits into,that lifts the keel. This will be machined out and theaded to take the existing s/s threaded shaft. this will be the bronze unit ONLY, NOT THE S/S ARMS(that pivot) NOR THE MOUNTING PLATES(thatpivot) NOR THE S/S RIVETS THAT FIX IT ALL TOGETHER.!! most probs are with the bronze cast unit,stripping out the thread,this is the part I am thinking off... regarding the engine bay insert, how about a size 300X300by40mm deep ,curved or flat? You are restricted for depth at the top,due to the stern tapering in . !! Will obtain some prices for the cast unit ,but will be some time,I have to aquire a new old one first to get some prices.! REGARDS MIKE IN SUNNY NORFOLK!

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

Post by whiteede » Fri May 08, 2009 10:23 am

As you say Mike, with the age of boats I would d also be interested although mine seems ok, just a bit loose on the thread for now. Probably the whole shebang is sensible.
Philip
Nuestro

Sent: 05 May 2009 17:40
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] NEW BRONZE WINDING GEAR /OUTBOARD INSERT

Hi all, Just had a chat with a swift owner, who has the same prob as many others,...THREAD STRIPPED FROM THE BRONZE SADDLE,..... since I have been building my swift,and chatting on this site, I think about five people have had the same prob,in view of this and the age of the boats ,(icreasing issue)What thoughts has anybody on me supplying a stock replacement,? The bronze saddle pre-threaded,or a complete unit ,or a bronze insert(NEED TO BRAZE IN) ? on the other issue, would anybody be interested in a grp insert, for the outboard engine well.? This would be a rectangle grp panel with a large blister(INSET) this would help those who want a 5hp outboard,but find the space to small.!!

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)