Lifting a Swift

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
AFG
Making way

Lifting a Swift

Post by AFG » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Well, we now have the boat (Sw079) at Rutland Sailing Club. She's renamed Samphire. Got new sails from Jeckells - very nice. And have actually sailed! Even better!! So well pleased and looking forward to the summer.

But when we tried to lift the boat for anti-fouling the keel using the club's gantry, we ran into a problem.

We had decided to use standard ratchet strops to lift the boat with the crane, but the aluminium toe rail looked as though it would bend where the strops passed over the rail as the strop took the weight of the boat. So we stopped.

See pictures below...

Any comments? Would it have been ok? How have others lifted the boat? I see from the forum that this has been done - but how was the boat fastened to the crane? Would it have been better if we changed the angle of the strops so that they were not so tight on the rail and went more or less straight up to the top of the gantry?

Also, when you tow the bow, does the same thing happen when you tie the boat down to the trailer with the strops?

Thanks!

Tony G

P.S. Samphire has attracted much attention from many members who are previous owners and all comments have been very positive about the boat and it's sailing characteristics. Several people have asked about buying a Swift. And someone said that if he could find 5 of them he could sell them all. Anyone want to go into production!
Attachments
gantry_s.jpg
gantry 2 s.jpg

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

lifting a swift

Post by CHERRY PIE » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:41 pm

I think you were wise to abandon the lift, my view is that you were missing a bit of kit... something like a lifting beam with a couple of spreaders attached...looks like a capital letter I (birds eye view) lifting from a single point would allow all the weight of the boat to crush inwards. When transporting, the weight of the boat is carried by the trailer and the ratchet straps act as lateral support... That gantry looks just the job!... Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Phil De Troy
Making way

*** PROBABLY SPAM *** Lifting a Swift

Post by Phil De Troy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Bad indeed

Best solution is to use a cross, so stops are coming vertically.

Otherwise... Longer strops can help reducing the strain

Last option, cut planks 3/4 in thick, 2 in wide, length=from hard chine to top of toe rail and insertbetween hull and strops

Phil
----- Original Message -----
To: forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2009 6:06 PM
Subject: *** PROBABLY SPAM *** [Swift 18] Lifting a Swift

Well, we now have the boat (Sw079) at Rutland Sailing Club. She's renamed Samphire. Got new sails from Jeckells - very nice. And have actually sailed! Even better!! So well pleased and looking forward to the summer.

But when we tried to lift the boat for anti-fouling the keel using the club's gantry, we ran into a problem.

We had decided to use standard ratchet strops to lift the boat with the crane, but the aluminium toe rail looked as though it would bend where the strops passed over the rail as the strop took the weight of the boat. So we stopped.

See pictures below...

Any comments? Would it have been ok? How have others lifted the boat? I see from the forum that this has been done - but how was the boat fastened to the crane? Would it have been better if we changed the angle of the strops so that they were not so tight on the rail and went more or less straight up to the top of the gantry?

Also, when you tow the bow, does the same thing happen when you tie the boat down to the trailer with the strops?

Thanks!

Tony G

P.S. Samphire has attracted much attention from many members who are previous owners and all comments have been very positive about the boat and it's sailing characteristics. Several people have asked about buying a Swift. And someone said that if he could find 5 of them he could sell them all. Anyone want to go into production!

Attachments:
gantry 2 s.jpg
gantry_s.jpg
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Phil De Troy www.MicroClass.org

roadster
Under way

Post by roadster » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:49 pm

I agree with Phil, don't lift it like that. The toe rails were bespoke to the Swift and cannot be replaced if you bend them and judging by the photos, you wre right to stop.

My advice would be to have a pair steel frames made up in the shape of a triangle so that the strops are vertical(ish). There might be some old lifting frames lying about, there sometimes is around boat yards.

Justin

AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:34 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll have to find or make a lifting frame for next season. Cheers, Tony