Sail sizes - Confusion seems to reign

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:00 pm

We've just bought 079 (name TBA but 'Samphire' winning at the moment) and are having some new sails cut. Jekells have quoted for a main 0f 83 sq ft and a 150% genny at 120 sq ft. The sail plan on the web site here gives the main at 94 sq ft and the genny at 104 sq ft.

So confusion all round. Any comments anyone?

Also I'm having a working jib cut but the plan on the site is not clear as the original scan hasn't captured the smallest notes on the document. Anyone got the right dimensions of the sail or the original document? Also, Jekells say 88 sq ft for a working jib, the diagram says 56!

Again comments?

Finally, Cruising chute. Anyone got the dimensions?

Thanks!

Tony G

jjspicer
Under way

Post by jjspicer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:17 pm

I am not sure what the dimensilon for my Genoa and main are but Jekells made them and they work great. Another Swift 18 are my club also bought a main from Jekells within the last year and had no complaints.
The new sails made a hugh improvement in boat handling for both boats.
John

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 4:00 PM, AFG <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:
We've just bought 079 (name TBA but 'Samphire' winning at the moment) and are having some new sails cut. Jekells have quoted for a main 0f 83 sq ft and a 150% genny at 120 sq ft. The sail plan on the web site here gives the main at 94 sq ft and the genny at 104 sq ft.

Also I'm having a working jib cut but the plan on the site is not clear as the original scan hasn't captured the smallest notes on the document. Anyone got the right dimensions of the sail or the original document? Also, Jekells say 88 sq ft for a working jib, the diagram says 56!

Again comments?

Thanks!

Tony G

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
________
Vermont medical marijuana dispensaries
Last edited by jjspicer on Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

sail sizes

Post by mikeprojectboat » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi, Try phoning a couple of sail makers, I have found jeckles,and kemp both helpfull, and both have the swift data. Depends on your sailing as to size, and cut , mine is about 150% so is on par.! for the genny, my main was made by kemp, but is a little bigger than norm. will try and measure a ORIGINAL MULTI COLOURED MAIN that I obtained for reference,and give you the sizes within the next few days. regards to all mike in warm sunny norfiolk.!!!!!!!!!!

gff_cook
Making way

Post by gff_cook » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:08 pm

The three original Swift 18 brochures/articles I have give just the total sail area as 199 sq ft.

Geoff Cook

Sent: 21 March 2009 13:01
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Sail sizes - Confusion seems to reign

Again comments?

Thanks!

Tony G

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Tony
Look in the 'Sails' section of this forum under 'Cruising Chute Dimensions', there's some sizes there!
I got a new mainsail from Jeckells 2 years ago, there is no mention of size on the order, & I've never measured it, but I will now, just to see!
Rob

AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:27 pm

Thanks - I'll do that Sorry Must've missed it when I looked before.

Tony

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Hi All
Well I measured my 'New' Jeckells Mainsail today.
Luff 23'4"
Leech 24'2"
Foot 7'
I worked this out at about 87sq ft.
There is very little roach on it, about 5"

My old original sail had slightly shorter foot & was a few inches less in the luff but I think I worked that out at about the 94sq ft shown on the original sailplan, so it must have had more roach! I don't know where I've put it at the moment!

I measured my Genoa while I was at it & with a 9' 10" foot it came out at about 96sq ft. The 104sq ft Genny shown in the sailplan diagram would have an 11' foot but looks as if it would need to be sheeted somwhere near the back of the cockpit! 120sq ft Genny sounds very big to me, a lot of sail to drag round the front of the mast each time you tack! I think the 88sq ft working jib could be a good compromise

I guess you pays your money & takes your choice, or is this more confusing than ever Tony?
Rob

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

Post by Elwyn Williams » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:25 pm

I Have original copy of the sail & rigging Plan
Drawing No S399/7 Colin Silveser 12/6/81. Sorry it is A2 size I can only scan A4

If you wish I will scan in 4 section & email direct (supply your direct e mail address)

Details as required

Sail Luff Leach Foot Area f2 Comments

Mainsail 23' 6 1/2" 24' 7" 7' 01" 94 Leach cut Straight Between Battens Two Reef lines

Genoa 20'10" 19' 08" 11' 03 1/2" 105

Working Jib 19' 09" 16' 09" 7' 07" 60

Storm Jib 12' 00" 9' 06" 5' 06" 25.5

Spinnaker 20' 03" 20' 03" 13' 00" Not To Exceed Rule Max Area

PS please pass on my regards to Steve Jeckells I started off at sea with him as a Deck Cadet back in 1975

Elwyn Williams

email :- elwynjrwilliams@aol.com

Or :- elwyn.williams@hotmail.co.uk (MSN Video Messaging Enabled)
Last edited by Elwyn Williams on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elwyn Williams

AFG
Making way

Post by AFG » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks to all who responded to my message about sails. As a result I've learnt quite a bit! So here goes...

1 The Swift was designed to conform to the French Micro Cup rules and so has to have no more than 199 sq ft of sail area excl. Kite

2 The original sail plan contained on the site conforms to the designer's original sail plan and rigging drawings which I have now seen thanks to Elwyn Williams.

3 I was confused over the differential between the designed sail plan and the new suit quoted for by Jeckells and asked for comments.

4 Jeckells have been fantasticly helpful over all this. It seems that the designed size of the main on the drawing includes the roach but the Jeckells quoted size doesn't. If you include this there is no difference between the sails and the Jeckells main conforms to the original design.

5 As for the genny, the original designed size is a 135% sail. It is possible to have a 150% genny for cruising, so when you order sails please talk about what you plan to do and Jeckells will advise.

6 The working jib on the drawing is much smaller than that which Jeckells quoted me for. This is because if you have the 150% genny, a 110% 88sq ft jib makes sense as a step down rather than going all the way to 56sq ft as in the original plan.

7 Quite a few people have told me that the boat screws up into the wind in a blow, so having the 88 sq ft jib with the 94sq ft main balances things out and the boat sails better. Also when working in restricted waters this is the case 'cos the smaller jib s easier to handle and is a reasonable compromise on the larger genny.

So after talking to Jeckells, what I've done is go for the original designed sail plan as opposed to a modification which includes a larger head sail... that is a 135% genny with a standard 94 sq ft main. This will give me good performance in open water and on our large lake; and the genny is smaller and easier to handle than the big 150% sail I originally talked to Jeckells about. Also, with the smaller genny, the boat shouldn't be as prone to the screwing up to the wind problem which the larger-than-designed 110% working jib is intended to overcome if you have the large genny. At some point I guess we'll get a working jib - but more of that later when we've had more experience of how Samphire sails ...

So there you are - yet another step taken in my Swift education! On now to rig tension, mast rake, general setting up and installing the spinnaker... Thankfully, the sail and rigging drawings I've seen include info on this stuff and also has all the dimensions, so this will help.

Tony G