Buying a boat checklist

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
AFG
Making way

Buying a boat checklist

Post by AFG » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:06 pm

My friend Hugh and I have recently bought a Swift, and as part of the process acquired quite a lot of information about what to look for in a second-hand boat.

In addition to this excellent website, of particular help was Rutland sailor Charles Frisby, who had two Swifts, sailed them seemingly everywhere with his family, and who was a committee member of the Owners Association for a while. Charles now sails a Kinsman on Rutland Water and we have raced against him in our Squib many times. It was kind of him to offer his advice which I then added to the other snippets we'd collected to make up a check list of what to look for when viewing a boat.

Now of course I'm no expert, having only had the boat for a week ( :-) ). But we have finished up with a really nice example of the class, so if anyone would like a copy of the check list we made from the various conversations we had, please let me know and I'll send it to you.

Tony G

helenandpete
Under way

Buying a boat checklist

Post by helenandpete » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:51 pm

Tony
<![if !supportEmptyParas]> <![endif]>
Glad you got a good boat as I think I did. However I would be very interested in seeing your check list, if only for ideas of things to check that I may not have looked at on Tadpole.
Pete
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 18 March 2009 13:06
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Buying a boat checklist
My friend Hugh and I have recently bought a Swift, and as part of the process acquired quite a lot of information about what to look for in a second-hand boat.

In addition to this excellent website, of particular help was Rutland sailor Charles Frisby, who had two Swifts, sailed them seemingly everywhere with his family, and who was a committee member of the Owners Association for a while. Charles now sails a Kinsman on Rutland Water and we have raced against him in our Squib many times. It was kind of him to offer his advice which I then added to the other snippets we'd collected to make up a check list of what to look for when viewing a boat.

Now of course I'm no expert, having only had the boat for a week ( Image). But we have finished up with a really nice example of the class, so if anyone would like a copy of the check list we made from the various conversations we had, please let me know and I'll send it to you.

Tony G

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Best Regards

Peter

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:16 am

Hi Tony
I think many of us would like to see your checklist. Perhaps Terry or Andy could find a permenant place for it on this site?
Hope you enjoy your 'new' boat!
Rob