Headlining

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
bridbell
Run aground

Headlining

Post by bridbell » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:39 pm

Hi I have been looking at the swift for some time and came close to buying one over a year ago.
I am back looking.
I have enquired about one that had a leak on the toe rail and the headlining had become smelly and damp and subseqently removed. Would a leaky toe rail leak into the cabin and behind the headlining?I am concerned it will have leaked into the foam / balsa sandwich? Or is that part of the hull only one layer of glass fibre thick?
Also I assume the outboard needs to be removed if on a tidal mooring as it cant be tilted.
Thanks in advance
Tony
Not a Swift 18 owner yet ,still trying to buy one.

Rondonay
Cruising

Headlining

Post by Rondonay » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Tony
Yes the toerail is behind the headlining so it would affect it. The balsa layer is not really involved, The headlining is, however, an expensive and tricky job.
Pauline

Oct 14, 2008 09:39:35 PM, forum-general@swift18.org wrote:
Hi I have been looking at the swift for some time and came close to buying one over a year ago.
I am back looking.
I have enquired about one that had a leak on the toe rail and the headlining had become smelly and damp and subseqently removed. Would a leaky toe rail leak into the cabin and behind the headlining?I am concerned it will have leaked into the foam / balsa sandwich? Or is that part of the hull only one layer of glass fibre thick?
Also I assume the outboard needs to be removed if on a tidal mooring as it cant be tilted.
Thanks in advance
Tony

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:02 am

Hi Tony
There are a number of reasons for wet & smelly head liners, the toe rail being one. With the old head lining out it is an easy (if not laborious) job to re-seal all the toe rail bolts. Deck fittings in general can be one way water can get in, windows is another. I had leaks though the rear pulpit fixings which then found its way through a badly glassed in anchor well.
As for doing the headliner, a lot of swift are reaching that stage now and unless the job has already been done by a previous owner it’s more than likely any boat will need doing in the not too distant future. There is a fair amount of information on the site about replacing headlinings. Best of luck with your search
Terry

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

Headlining - tidal mooring

Post by whiteede » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:32 am

Greetings Tony. I have no leak problems with my 1984 boat headlining although some of it is now loose above the window. Re: tidal issues I bought my Swift with an original position outboard transom, which is disturbingly low. A deep propeller position is inefficient and i have a drying out mooring.

A number of owners have raised the inner transom to improve things. Cherry pie i think has good notes and pics of their job some years ago but you may also like to look at my recent job using a plate rather than extensive timber. Have a look at the gallery for Whiteede - last page of all.

I carried this out primarily to get the prop skeg near to keel depth but it improves propulsion too. You need to ensure that your anticavitation plate is 4" or more below waterline and note that, in raising the motor height, your o/b tiller may foul the tiller when tilted up for tacking etc. The other major benefit i got was that my Honda BF5 had some room to turn in an emergency, if i should lose my rudder, for instance.

Hey ho
Philip

Rondonay
Cruising

Headlining

Post by Rondonay » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi,

The raised transom was not a Rondonay job. Sorry, I cannot remember who posted the job.
Pauline

Oct 16, 2008 01:17:20 PM, forum-general@swift18.org wrote:
Greetings Tony. I have no leak problems with my 1984 boat headlining although some of it is now loose above the window. Re: tidal issues I bought my Swift with an original position outboard transom, which is disturbingly low. A deep propeller position is inefficient and i have a drying out mooring.

A number of owners have raised the inner transom to improve things. Rondonay has good notes and pics of their job some years ago but you may also like to look at my recent job using a plate rather than extensive timber. Have a look at the gallery for Whiteede - last page of all.

I carried this out primarily to get the prop skeg near to keel depth but it improves propulsion too. You need to ensure that your anticavitation plate is 4" or more below waterline and note that, in raising the motor height, your o/b tiller may foul the tiller when tilted up for tacking etc. The other major benefit i got was that my Honda BF5 had some room to turn in an emergency, if i should lose my rudder, for instance.

Hey ho
Philip

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

bridbell
Run aground

Headlining

Post by bridbell » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 am

Hi All
Thank you all very much for your help.
I think I will not persuue this boat, not just because of the headlining issues but it does not tick all the boxes like spray hood cockpit tent etc..
Expensive to buy new later.
cheers
Tony