keel sticking in the mud!!!!!!

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Went sailing the other day, nice and windy,in a cornish shrimper. had it heeling over a good bit, rubbing strake kissing the water.!!! (had full sails up with no reefs!) had a good time, but I had to keep raising and lowering the centre plate as it was fouling the bottom.This was at hickling broads, must have raised and lowered it about eight or nine times, as the centre plate on a shrimper is LESS than the drop keel on the swift, this will be a issue if I sail in hickling broad. It is not realistic to keep leaping in and out of the cockpit,cranking the keel up and down.!! Has anybody else had this issue? Or is it just Hickling broad.? Regards to all, mike in sunny warm breezy norfolk

markb
Anchored

Post by markb » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:03 pm

Hmm... whilst I'd agree that the rivers on the Broads are probably ok, I'd share Mike's concern about sailing on Hickling - the marked channel is fairly narrow if you're looking to spend a few hours sailing around on the Broad itself (as opposed to just passing through it) and parts of it seemed a bit shallow to me when I went investigating (see my post on Norfolk Swifts).

Barton I can recommend as being fine for Swifts as the marked channel is much wider and with keel full-down I've only touched bottom once in a year - and that was when I was being very daft.

PS. To Mike Project Boat - I used to enjoy reading your daily update on your progress/the weather! How are you finding your Swift now she's (presumably) finished, launched and sailing? Where is she based? Mark.

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Mike, have you still got my e-mail adderss have lost yours & would like to pm you.
Pauline

Oct 10, 2008 05:08:40 AM, forum-general@swift18.org wrote:
Went sailing the other day, nice and windy,in a cornish shrimper. had it heeling over a good bit, rubbing strake kissing the water.!!! (had full sails up with no reefs!) had a good time, but I had to keep raising and lowering the centre plate as it was fouling the bottom.This was at hickling broads, must have raised and lowered it about eight or nine times, as the centre plate on a shrimper is LESS than the drop keel on the swift, this will be a issue if I sail in hickling broad. It is not realistic to keep leaping in and out of the cockpit,cranking the keel up and down.!! Has anybody else had this issue? Or is it just Hickling broad.? Regards to all, mike in sunny warm breezy norfolk

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Terry
Cruising

Swift Moulds

Post by Terry » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:15 am

Hi Mike,
I've just sent you an email regarding offloading the Swift moulds (if you haven't already got rid!)
Regards Terry

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

boat update

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:04 pm

Have just viewed the emails, boat 99.999% Finished. have just to cover the foam cushions,and launch.!!!!! Have more photo`s to put on the site, including some of the keel being cast at the foundry,!! Thought it would be in the water by now,but had a few issues with my daughters health,and renovating another property.This crummy weather is a pain.!!! Went to our local auction rooms about two weeks ago, to buy a tarp to cover the boat. They had some good ones,20-12 size ideal!! But was outbid.! They were old advertising screens or lorry sides,the best bit was,....on oneside it was nice clean pristine white plastic on the other a advert for Marks andSPENCER a twenty foot girl in purple underwear.!!!!!! Thought it would make the R.A.F. PILOTS daywhen they next fly over at 500 feet.!! ...so the boat is still collecting leaves. still have the moulds, wife has not mentioned them for some time now, ?? at least 24 hours,.! Hope you are all shipshape and bristol fashion.?? REGARDS MIKE IN WET NORFOLK(today)

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi Mike
If you don’t mind I’ll edit out your phone number off your last message (not thought to be a good idea on an open forum) but I’ll pass them on to the interested party anyway.
The firms called Fletcher Boats who seem to specialize in small power boats so swifts would appear to be something of a departure for them. I’ll email you their contact details.
Pity about the tarp. I bought a cheap one last year but it wasn’t much good and after a gale, which threatened to tip the boat over, I took it off and resigned Seren to be pooed all over by jackdaws (They do a nice line in purple poo from the blackberries or whatever they eat.)
Any way, hope something comes of all this, it would be nice to see new swifts rolling off the production line again.
Believe it or not it’s nice and sunny up here in Wales (or was until it went dark)
Regards Terry