Keel Bolt leaking

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:56 am

It’s a date then!
Had a similar experience to Justin last Saturday week (or was it Friday – anyway it was the day loads of boats got wrecked at Abersoch.) A forecast of force 7/8 SW was down graded by the Caernarfon HM to 3 to 5 SE which tempted us over Caernarfon bar with a view to making it to Porth Dinllaen (What a mistake.) Managed to get over the bar ok by going most of the way on a foul tide but just when we thought we were safe all hell let loose! The wind stayed S and increased to 8 with gust of 9 (against tide of course.)The good news (I think) was we were in a Knobby which is a 36’ wooden gaffer the bad news; it was an open boat with no self draining and there was some danger of swamping the engine. We also had too much canvas which was an epic to get rid of (massive heavy sails and just two of us.) At one stage we tried to get onto Trefor but we knew it was a forlorn hope as it would dry out long before we got there, also, we couldn’t see a thing due to sea spray. It was at that point the GPS packed up. Where was Trefor anyway? No alternative but to battle on to PD. I had to abandon the skipper on arrival as I was taking the Bren (wife) to Italy the following day but one. That was my excuse anyway.

roadster
Under way

Post by roadster » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:21 pm

I'm on 07834 259 025
I'll be setting off around 11.30 from Conwy, happy to meet wherever.

I'll keep my phone on.

Cheers
Justin

roadster
Under way

Post by roadster » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:03 pm

Looks like I'll have to brush up on my passage planning skills!

Sorry chaps, got my timing all wrong and the little outboard wasn't going to save my embarrassment and motor against the manai current.

Anyway, good to meet you and Ruth again Gary.

I'll have to catch you again Terry.

Cheers
Justin

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:14 am

Looking forward to the next time an opportunity presents itself for a get together, we spotted another Swift in the straights gave them a wave but have no idea of the name of the boat? (Saturday 12:30).... great to have met up with Terry and a little later with Justin/Vicky and family at Puffin Island. We spent Sunday morning exploring the far reaches of the Conwy river in the rubber bubble, a little worrying given the amount of flotsam in the water. Sadly not much left of the season. Gary
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18