A bit of a surprise!

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Rondonay
Cruising

A bit of a surprise!

Post by Rondonay » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Operation Headlining began in real earnest today. We went down to Norfolk and removed the old lining. I had wondered how the lining fitted so snugly around the windows, what I was NOT expecting was that it actually went through the hull and finished up under the perspex!No, I do not plan to remove those bits!Terry, we have scraped off the old foam, and most of the old glue. Did your acetone do the last bits?Thanks for info. received so far! :0)

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Jstoppy
Anchored

Headlining

Post by Jstoppy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:37 am

I thought I would explain what I have done with my headlining in Little Hog. I have used the plastic (white) cladding velcro'ed to electriccal plastic square conduit which comes with self adhesive strips and tidying strips. From any DIY store, such Wicks, B&Q. It is releative cheap and you can stick LED lights to it with out issue. This came from a magazine, one of those £25 letters for good ideas that we all read and go would it work really. I liked and adopted for Little Hog.

The benefits are it creates an air gap between the roof space and cladding stops any drips if they are any, plus the cladding as an integral air gap too. It has now been up 1 year and going well so far with no issues (thats it I've tempted providence). You do lose an inch of headroom. The other advantage is that all the electrics are in conduit too, if you need to pass the Inland Boat safety inspection. It also adds an extra layer of insulation for winter sleeping, which is important when we need to stay warm.

It is a bit of a faf fitting but once done its pretty, easy to clean and maintainace free. You need a dry warm day for sticky stuff to work best apparently.

Using velcro means you can remove/replace the claddding with ease when you need to inspect or work on mast step, electrics or fixings etc.

Happy to discuss with anyone if it helps with ideas..

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:31 pm

Yes you do have to remove the windows but that's not difficult just put a bead of sikafex to seal them up again when putting them back and just lightly tighten the screws just enough to spread the sealant, then tighten them a bit more only when it's gone off (Don't over do the tightening though or you might crack the perspex.) I used acetone to soften the glue up before grinding it off with the anglegrinder wire brush attachment which was very affective.
Regards Terry

Rondonay
Cruising

A bit of a surprise!

Post by Rondonay » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:29 pm

Oooh I really don't want to take the windows off!! You make it sound OK Terry but I'm sure you exceed me in the competence with sikaflex department!! If I drum up rhe courage, I'll let you know. :0)

Rondonay
Cruising

A bit of a surprise!

Post by Rondonay » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks for that, I have to go to B&Q to look at the insulating idea that I am developing following Rob's lead, I'll check it out then.

Elwyn Williams
Making way
Boat Name: Apus Melba
Sail Number: K9202Y

A bit of a surprise!

Post by Elwyn Williams » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:50 pm

If You don't mind me sticking my Two Peneth in, Back about 5 years ago whilst on a very wet weekend in the Solent Both windows sprang with screws loosing their thread into the fibreglass (These had never been touched since it was built). Necessity being the mother of invention, out with a drill & bolted through with stainless steel countersunk bolts with a new pieces of neoprene sheeting for the replacement seals, & a bit of external sealant, no problems since, dry bunks too!

Elwyn Williams

email :- elwynjrwilliams@aol.com

Tel:

Home 01386 831471
Mobile +447762 600486 (MMS Enabled)

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be legally privileged. It is for attention and use of the intended recipient only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, take any action on this e-mail. Internet communications are not secure and therefore the sender does not accept legal responsibility for the contents or attachments of this message.

Elwyn Williams

Rondonay
Cruising

A bit of a surprise!

Post by Rondonay » Sun May 04, 2008 8:09 am

Nice one Elwyn.