MAST RAKE/KEEL ANGLE ETC..

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
mikeprojectboat
Cruising

Post by mikeprojectboat » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:43 pm

Having looked at about four swifts prior to my boat build,and another three since I started, I have yet to see any two the same,!!!!! each one is slightly different.!! When I veiwed one to measure and photograph the mast mount(tabernacle?) it had been fixed as far back as possible,close to the hatch garage,(had a new mast non taper type) ,Yet on one near me its inthe centre.!! I know that the swifts had been built by at least FIVE boatyards each one having a different spec and staff, the guys who build grp boats and fit out same,are not sailers normally,but fix things on as told.!!So I am not surprised.!....found three types of keel shapes,one so off/set it fouled the keel box ,when wound up and down. !!! two that only went down to about 25degrees not 18 as stated in the spec.an one with rudder mounts(PINTLE) out of line,and to high.!! One way or another,all these things would influence the handling and your temper,when the boat fails to perform. ....so DO NOT shout and scream at your wife/partner, girlfriend/hooker..or pet dog. regard mike in norfolk.

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:41 pm

So it's not all super scientific and high tech then?

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

MAST RAKE/KEEL ANGLE ETC.. boat build standard

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:30 pm

NOPE, best bet is to check out your boat,and if in doubt ask.!! Washed the cockpit out today (UNCOVERED)removed 1/2 bucket of leaves and used two buckets hot water to remove the green slime, wished I had covered it up.!! REGARDS MIKE

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:40 pm

Looking like a real boat now then? :0)

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Rondonay
Cruising

Post by Rondonay » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:41 pm

In fact boat ownership is really an extended scrubbing opportunity!!

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:30 am

Bird poo is my problem. Tried covering up last year but the tarp acted like a big sail, nearly blew the boat away.
Anyway, it's to early to wash it yet, it'll only get dirty again.

Come to think of it, it's how I view most cleaning work.

Titannic
Anchored

Post by Titannic » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:03 am

Regarding bird droppings. I used to suffer with this problem on my boats especially seagulls cured it by stringing a few CDs the length of the boat below the boom making sure 1 or 2 knocked against mast deck or hatch not a bird has been back in the last two years.
Hugh

Sent: 15 February 2008 00:30
To: forum-general@swift18.org
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: MAST RAKE/KEEL ANGLE ETC..

Bird poo is my problem. Tried covering up last year but the tarp acted like a big sail, nearly blew the boat away.
Anyway, it's to early yet, it'll only get dirty again.

I am interested in information about Swift 18

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:10 pm

Thanks for the advice. I actually don’t have a problem with the boat on her mooring (or haven’t so far anyway.) Fortunately, the local sailing club safety boat acts as a sort of seagull sacrificial anode keeping my boat poo free!
It was the big Ribena coloured splats from jackdaws that roost in the trees that overhang my hard standing that gave me all the trouble. Just at the moment, with all these gales we’ve been having, I’m more concerned as to whether Seren is still connected to her mooring. What seemed a substantial mooring strop last month now feels like a rather inadequate piece of string.