GONE FISHING

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
CHERRY PIE
Cruising

GONE FISHING

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:50 pm

Went out for a sail last Saturday (Conwy Bay area) it was flat calm at first so we put the line out and managed to catch six Mackerel of various size just before the 5 to 6 Westerly started. Wind soon picked up so we hurriedly got the line in and double reefed the sail..quick sail over to Penmenmawr (sorry if spelling wrong) and back to Conwy. We have never BBQ'D Mackerel before and we had a throw away bbq on board so rather than go and find somewhere ashore I decided to try a makeshift BBQ ON DECK! (Picture in gallery) Fortunately we did not attract to much attention but they don't half give of some smoke. The Mackerel were done to a turn, I prepare them by gutting from the back and following the bone, placing them skin side down to the Barbi when flipped over they stay firm and the skin stays on the hot mesh. Served on a bed of salad and helped down with a glass of wine we were very pleased with the result. We will not be BBQing on the boat again and will certainly go ashore. Hope you enjoyed the tale and it was'nt to gruesome or hairaising! Hope to get down the straights next week so will keep a look out for you Terry...weather permitting. Gary & Ruth
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:05 pm

Hi Gary
I’m off to Abersoch on Thursday & Friday to crew for my niece’s husband racing a thing called a Seabird half-rater. With winds in the 6 to 7 bracket it should be quite interesting and so if I survive that I should be back on my own boat in the Straits by the weekend.
I’ve not done very well on the networking front so far. Even though Simon has his boat at PD I’ve still not managed to get out with him so it would be great to ‘finally’ meet up with you. I did get over the bar last Wednesday/Thursday. The wind was quite sporting going out and I was quite ‘bricking it’ but things calmed down as soon as I got through the narrows and flat calm by the time I came back on Thursday.
Like the locker top and clothespeg BBQ arrangement incidentally.

Phil De Troy
Making way

*** SPAM ALERT *** GONE FISHING

Post by Phil De Troy » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:00 am

Ever tried raw in lemon juice?
Have one liter lemon juce ready, fresh mackrel cleaned, fillet cut in cubes and thrown immediately in lemon juice, when you are back in harbour, add some sugar to the juice, it's delicious with a glass of Porto...

Phil
----- Original Message -----
To: forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:50 PM
Subject: *** SPAM ALERT *** [Swift 18] GONE FISHING

Went out for a sail last Saturday (Conwy Bay area) it was flat calm at first so we put the line out and managed to catch six Mackerel of various size just before the 5 to 6 Westerly started. Wind soon picked up so we hurriedly got the line in and double reefed the sail..quick sail over to Paenwenmear (sorry if spelling wrong) and back to Conwy. We have never BBQ'D Mackerel before and we had a throw away bbq on board so rather than go and find somewhere ashore I decided to try a makeshift BBQ ON DECK! (Picture in gallery) Fortunately we did not attract to much attention but they don't half give of some smoke. The Mackerel were done to a turn, I prepare them by gutting from the back and following the bone, placing them skin side down to the Barbi when flipped over they stay firm and the skin stays on the hot mesh. Served on a bed of salad and helped down with a glass of wine we were very pleased with the result. We will not be BBQing on the boat again and will certainly go ashore. Hope you enjoyed the tale and it was'nt to gruesome or hairaising! Hope to get down the straights next week so will keep a look out for you Terry...weather permitting. Gary & Ruth

GARY & RUTH CHERRY PIE

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Phil De Troy www.MicroClass.org