Regarding a little history???

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:10 pm

Howdo all,

Well, ok, I succumbed! :roll: ...........I will see how it goes. Any road up, I have a bit of a query regarding your bit of history on the home page.

My boat "Scallywag" ex. "Count Down" No. 321, was built in 1987 by Swiftcraft at Shamrock Quay, there is a builders plate on her that says so. Mind you, she could be now living up to her name and telling me porkies! :wink:

Now according to your bit of history, she would be a 300 series boat, built by Honor Marine at Totnes???......don't appear to be so?, she does have a non tapered mast, but all the rest of her is no different to the 1-218 series.

So come on you Pundits of matters Swifty.....what's going on here?

Just one more thing......what is BBCode? and why is HTML off? Hey! I just like to know these things.

noodle
Site Admin

Post by noodle » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:50 am

Hi Charlie,

BBcode is basically a 'safe' restricted version of HTML which can be
used in messages to provide formatting capabilities. It uses HTML is
turned off because it can be used to corrupt the forum and possibly be
used to cause nasty code to be run on your machine.

For more info have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

Andy

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Charlie

BBCode and stuff

Post by Charlie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Ta Andy,

Best, Charlie.

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:03 am

You’re lucky, quite a lot boats (including mine) don’t have a builder’s plate. I seem to remember that this problem has come to light before and there does appear to be some discrepancy between the historic records and information provided by actual owners.
The only way I can verifiy my boat's History is from the number on the old sails when I got it, The date the trailer was made (1985) and an old SSR number, which puts it no later than 1986 (nothing guaranteed there then!)

Charlie

History, and other stuff.

Post by Charlie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:10 pm

Hi Terry, well, I guess I must be......the build number is the sail number, so that's very convenient. Out of interest, I had a squint at the trailer plate, but no date on it, just max weight and tyer pressures, also builders number, it's a Bramber trailer, built in Collumpton Devon. I would say that it's probably the original, but I couldn't be certain?

Things are moving along fairly sedately, as I have another project on the go that I want to get sold to provide some funds for the Swift. Still, she has scrubbed up pretty good, and am quite pleased with the potential that I can see in her.

Best, Charlie.