electric outboard

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
keeling58
Run aground
Boat Name: aries 2
Sail Number: 129

electric outboard

Post by keeling58 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:10 am

Has anyone any experience of using a Torqueedo outboard motor. I use one on my Swift Aries 2 and it moves her along as well as a 3hp petrol , but because it is in the well I cant lift it when sailing and at speed the prop spins a condition that the users manual says can harm the electronics . I have made a stainless rod with two 90 degree bends and secured it to the shaft with cable ties and a couple of bungees . A bit heath Robinson but it is working fine and I just turn it to lock the prop when sailing and so far have always remembered to disengage it before using it again.

Sailor13
Run aground

Re: electric outboard

Post by Sailor13 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 am

I borrowed one a week ago as a test. Operationally it was fine but yes, it did have the annoying habit of rotating even under moderate sailing speed. The steering handle protrudes into the cockpit, which is already somewhat snug. As there is no need to steer the outboard itself a much simpler “battery, motor, propellor” arrangement is all that I need. I have not seen such a set up. I sail on Rutland Water where there are a number of Swifts. Petrol outboards are not allowed and the Torqueeeo is rather more than I need for the odd emergency.

keeling58
Run aground
Boat Name: aries 2
Sail Number: 129

Post by keeling58 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Yes they are very expensive but they will push the boat along against strong headwinds and have an ok range for the average lake sailor. You can buy a remote control that replaces the tiller but once again it is more expense. The upside is that you don't have to heave a 100amp hour battery around as you do with trolling motors .
I take the point regarding the handle but once under sail you can easily detach it, My home made prop lock as performed well this season and so now that I have taken the financial hit the system works ok for me. Incidentally regarding cockpit space, when sailing in light winds with four on board I rig for transom main .This gives a bit more freedom

bluesman1955
Anchored
Boat Name: Chantilly
Sail Number: 28

Post by bluesman1955 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:53 pm

could you give details of your device to stop your prop turning when sailing.I have a Bison electric outboard, and might be able to adapt it to fit mine.
many thanks