Water in the bilges

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
mjatkey
Under way
Boat Name: Blue Skies II
Sail Number: ?

Water in the bilges

Post by mjatkey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Quick question, can anyone tell me what the distance between the outer and inner skins is only I think I have some water in the bilge and drilled a couple of pilot holes but was unsure as to whether there should be a gap between the two. Thanks

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Re: Water in the bilges

Post by robvega » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:26 am

Hi,
There is a small gap, sometime ago I remember someone had fitted an inspection hatch in the floor, to remove water from between the skins.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/131709460 ... l-swift18/
Hope this helps
Rob

tmackey
Under way

Post by tmackey » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:35 am

I think the gap between the inner moulding and the hull is going to vary depending on where you measure.
Is it voids between both that contain water that is the issue?
Should it contain foam?
Tom

mjatkey
Under way
Boat Name: Blue Skies II
Sail Number: ?

Post by mjatkey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Cheers Guys, yes I think I've not actually even gone through the thickness of the inner skin, comparing with the thickness on the inspection hatches.

Fran Kelleher
Run aground
Boat Name: Arabesque
Sail Number: 27

Post by Fran Kelleher » Tue May 10, 2016 11:44 am

Does it matter if there is water in this cavity, should I just fit an inspection cover and dry it out when it is winter storage. Is there any pressure in there when you are sailing? I have learnt from your replies that there are many places that water can leak onto the floor but I have no idea how the water is getting under the floor

Regards
Fran

Jake
Run aground
Boat Name: Chaos
Sail Number: 218

Post by Jake » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:40 pm

My boat always has some water between the skins and when I haul out for the annual antifoul I drill 3 or 4 holes to the underside of the hull adjacent to the keel slot and up to half a bucket has been known to run out! Good for ballast but not so good for the glass fibre I think! I do of course fill the holes with epoxy putty before relaunch. There must be quite a honeycombe of filled holes after doing this for the last 15 years but the boat is still in one piece. I think the water must get in there via the keel bolt or elsewhere in the casing and it seems to me the right solution is to find the leak and seal it if possible, or if not put a hatch in the floor of the cabin (it sounds as if you have one already) and leave open and let it dry out. I have just never bothered.