Launching on Friday.

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Post Reply
Boy John
Anchored
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:46 am

Launching on Friday.

Post by Boy John » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:34 pm

Hello again,
I bought Redstart towards the end of last year and she has been sitting outside my house all this time (best place for her after all the gales we have had up here). I have been itching to get her in the water and see how she sails. I have been plodding away getting jobs done over the winter including- beefing up the keel case around where the nylon bush sits as it was split, also welded another plate over the top of the keel lifting bracket that was bent, I managed to find someone to weld my alloy spreader bracket that was broken in two, done some tarting up downbelow, found myself a nearly new 4hp evinrude twin which sits at the right height without raising the bracket, it can also be tilted slightly in the well for very shallow water, also laid a new mooring in the harbour with new chain so I can sleep at nights when its windy and not have to walk down to check her in the middle of the night.
Has anyone else been out on the water yet? does anyone have any trips planned for the summer ahead? does anyone sail around Scotland or northern England area?

John.

pmasters
Anchored
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 pm
Location: Southampton Water, Solent, UK

Post by pmasters » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:30 pm

Hiya, I'm in a similar state, having bought my swift last August, which by the time I'd joined a club, I've only had mine in the water for about 3 weeks. I'm itching to get sailing, having stared at my boat all winter on the drive! Winter work was smartening the tender up, and building a new fuse board/ instrument cabinet for the swift. The boat is pretty good to go now, though I can already see that I'm going to be tackling the headlining this coming winter! Based on south coast, so I'm launching Nuthatch in Southampton in 2 weeks. Can't wait!!

One question to throw put there, where have people mounted a speed sensor? I'm looking at whether to put it under the sink off the center line, or to put it somewhere kickable in the main cabin? Not looking forward to cutting the double hull either. The other thing I was wondering, are the well lockers part of the double hull as I don't think they are? If so, that might be a good place as its a relatively contained area for any leaks. Thoughts?

John Hainsworth
Cruising
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:07 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Launching on Friday.

Post by John Hainsworth » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:40 am

Good to hear that you're ready to go

The cockpit lockers should be a good place for a sensor but I would put it as far forward and as near the centre line as possible to ensure that it stay in the water.

My head lining was shot at when I got the boat so I ripped it out and coated the roof with glass fibre cloth and epoxy. I like to be able to see where any leaks are coming from and always use epoxy for repairs. If you ever remove your keel box cover you may find slight leaks around the old fixings. You also should check the keel lifting gear and never forget to lift the keel fully up when mooring or going aground. There is a tendency for the thread to be damaged if the keel gets knocked up.

If you decide to renew the lining take the old one out very carefully especially around the windows which will need re-sealing. On reflection if I had been more careful I could have scrubbed the foam back off the original lining and re-used it. Hind sight is a fine thing.

But the Swift is a great boat and will look after you.

John (Taranaki - Poole Harbour)

On 23/03/2014 19:30, pmasters wrote:
Hiya, I'm in a similar state, having bought my swift last August, which by the time I'd joined a club, I've only had mine in the water for about 3 weeks. I'm itching to get sailing, having stared at my boat all winter on the drive! Winter work was smartening the tender up, and building a new fuse board/ instrument cabinet for the swift. The boat is pretty good to go now, though I can already see that I'm going to be tackling the headlining this coming winter! Based on south coast, so I'm launching Nuthatch in Southampton in 2 weeks. Can't wait!!

One question to throw put there, where have people mounted a speed sensor? I'm looking at whether to put it under the sink off the center line, or to put it somewhere kickable in the main cabin? Not looking forward to cutting the double hull either. The other thing I was wondering, are the well lockers part of the double hull as I don't think they are? If so, that might be a good place as its a relatively contained area for any leaks. Thoughts?





No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4336 / Virus Database: 3722/7235 - Release Date: 03/23/14
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

pmasters
Anchored
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:31 pm
Location: Southampton Water, Solent, UK

Re: Launching on Friday.

Post by pmasters » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm

John Hainsworth wrote:Good to hear that you're ready to go
The cockpit lockers should be a good place for a sensor but I would put it as far forward and as near the centre line as possible to ensure that it stay in the water.

My head lining was shot at when I got the boat so I ripped it out and coated the roof with glass fibre cloth and epoxy. I like to be able to see where any leaks are coming from and always use epoxy for repairs. If you ever remove your keel box cover you may find slight leaks around the old fixings. You also should check the keel lifting gear and never forget to lift the keel fully up when mooring or going aground. There is a tendency for the thread to be damaged if the keel gets knocked up.

If you decide to renew the lining take the old one out very carefully especially around the windows which will need re-sealing. On reflection if I had been more careful I could have scrubbed the foam back off the original lining and re-used it. Hind sight is a fine thing.

But the Swift is a great boat and will look after you.

John (Taranaki - Poole Harbour)
Thanks for the advice John. I think the keel gear is ok. Its had the bearing-race modification so that it winds easily, and I've had the side off to check the internals, and they look ok. I've also given them a going over with waterproof grease.

I'll look at the cockpit locker then - that looks like the simplest option, and avoids having to deal with chopping through a cored-section. I'm building a kayak in my garage at the moment, so I've got a load of epoxy to play with. Always impressed with how much it can do!

On the headlining front, I can see its a big enough job that I'm not going to take it on now, but its definitely on its way out. Half-tempted to keep the panelled sections, but replace the sides with a short carpet, though I might regret that from a winter-mould perspective.

In all other respects, very pleased with my boat - it has a sprayhood and a-frame, as well as boarding ladder and autopilot, so I think its pretty well set up now. The only thing I had fun with thus far was stepping the mast - as you slide it backwards from towing position, you reach a point where the mast wants to tip off the back of the boat due to the center of gravity, but thats about 2 metres short of where the foot reaches the tabernacle. My solution was to make a mast crutch which I put on the ground behind the trailer, which holds the mast weight. The crutch is taller than it needs to be so I can slant it, which helps me to lift the mast backwards without sliding it against the crutches on deck. Maybe a useful tip for someone anyway!

Less than 2 weeks to launch now!

robvega
Cruising
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:37 pm
Location: Pudsey, West Yorks
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:29 am

pmasters wrote
One question to throw put there, where have people mounted a speed sensor? I'm looking at whether to put it under the sink off the center line, or to put it somewhere kickable in the main cabin? Not looking forward to cutting the double hull either. The other thing I was wondering, are the well lockers part of the double hull as I don't think they are? If so, that might be a good place as its a relatively contained area for any leaks. Thoughts?
Hi,
Have you looked in the old newsletters on this site for the log location?
http://www.swift18.org/library/newsletters.html
The 'Technical Index' says NL4 page7, 6-13. 17-2, 18-5, 19-17, 21-9, 36-8.
I think under the sink was a popular location, but watch the trailer chocks!
Its single skin in there and a leak would be contained.
Having said that my log/depth is mounted on the back of the skeg, no holes in the hull but does misread when the engine is in reverse but I've never found that a problem.
Rob

pancho
Under way
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 am
Location: Hamble

Launching on Friday.

Post by pancho » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Ours as under the sink not to accurate when healing to starboard but a good compromise, Scoot now moored in Hillhead with new owner.
Regards


John

Sent from John's iPad

On 26 Mar 2014, at 10:29, "robvega" <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

Quote: pmasters wrote
One question to throw put there, where have people mounted a speed sensor? I'm looking at whether to put it under the sink off the center line, or to put it somewhere kickable in the main cabin? Not looking forward to cutting the double hull either. The other thing I was wondering, are the well lockers part of the double hull as I don't think they are? If so, that might be a good place as its a relatively contained area for any leaks. Thoughts?

Hi,
Have you looked in the old newsletters on this site for the log location?
http://www.swift18.org/library/newsletters.html
The 'Technical Index' says NL4 page7, 6-13. 17-2, 18-5, 19-17, 21-9, 36-8.
I think under the sink was a popular location, but watch the trailer chocks!
Its single skin in there and a leak would be contained.
Having said that my log/depth is mounted on the back of the skeg, no holes in the hull but does misread when the engine is in reverse but I've never found that a problem.
Rob




Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest