Post about length of mast

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Artemis
Under way

Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

I have put a post under the Mast section and thought I would ask for help here too. I want to buy a Swift 18 and tow it with a van, which means the mast will not go beyond the drawbar/hitch. I need to know the length of the mast and also the distance between the bow and end of drawbar - I expect trailers will be different but an idea would help. I am told I can have a 2m projection, which seems very good, though I would want as little as possible. I would be very grateful if you could look and respond to my post in the Mast section of the forum.

I have been enjoying the recent posts and video - it is a great boat! We love Mylor and the Fal too so it was good to see this post.
Peter

Longfellow2m
Run aground

Post by Longfellow2m » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:30 pm

If it helps, I measured my Swift 18's mast at appx 27ft 6" Coincidentally, I too am considering towing my Swift 18 to Portugal behind a VW T5 Transporter (I use a Volvo estate at the moment) so perhaps we could compare notes?
A point; I believe that in Europe rear overhangs are not so easily managed 'legally' as in UK...
:-) Tony

Subject: [Swift 18] Post about length of mast
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:54:41 +0000
To: forum-general@swift18.org

I have put a post under the Mast section and thought I would ask for help here too. I want to buy a Swift 18 and tow it with a van, which means the mast will not go beyond the drawbar/hitch. I need to know the length of the mast and also the distance between the bow and end of drawbar - I expect trailers will be different but an idea would help. I am told I can have a 2m projection, which seems very good, though I would want as little as possible. I would be very grateful if you could look and respond to my post in the Mast section of the forum.

I have been enjoying the recent posts and video - it is a great boat! We love Mylor and the Fal too so it was good to see this post.
Peter

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
Tony in Falmouth

whiteede
Making way
Boat Name: nuestro

Post by whiteede » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:27 pm

I have towed mine behind a land rover (similar height as T4 – 2m) without issue. I placed a spare wheel on the pulpit (maybe you can add a couple of buoys) with the mast on top so that this oversailed the top of the safari hardtop. Over hang ws ok. See pic.

Philip
Nuestro

Sent: 22 January 2014 13:08
Subject: [Swift 18] Re: Post about length of mast

If it helps, I measured my Swift 18's mast at appx 27ft 6" Coincidentally, I too am considering towing my Swift 18 to Portugal behind a VW T5 Transporter (I use a Volvo estate at the moment) so perhaps we could compare notes?
A point; I believe that in Europe rear overhangs are not so easily managed 'legally' as in UK...

From: forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)
To: forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)

Peter

Tony in Falmouth

Attachments
003.JPG

Artemis
Under way

length of mast

Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Thank you Tom and it is helpful to have another measurement, it seems the mast may be a bit longer than I was thinking but it could still be ok for me. We have an old family, Type 25 VW Transporter, which I have considered using but I would have concerns about the engine on steep hills. The vehicle we want to use is a van with a high back and including its sun awning, we would need to go above 2.55 m, which is why I think it is simply too high. The more we can get in front of the bow and close to the van will help.

Your trip sounds exciting and you will have warm sailing grounds. I will post to say how I have got on.
Regards
Peter

Artemis
Under way

Post by Artemis » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Thank you Philip, Your photo is very helpful since I can use it to have a better idea of the height the mast will need to be raised; our camper van is a Fiat Ducato. The spare wheel is a simple solution but I think I would have to raise the mast too high for us. We have a very large and long buoy, we call Bertha from our last boat and this could be a good way of getting more height so I will take this on board too! We will be towing in the UK and it seems we may have to go a long way to find our new boat – we live in the West Country.
Regards
Peter
Sent: 22 January 2014 13:47

I have towed mine behind a land rover (similar height as T4 – 2m) without issue. I placed a spare wheel on the pulpit (maybe you can add a couple of buoys) with the mast on top so that this oversailed the top of the safari hardtop. Over hang ws ok. See pic.

Philip
Nuestro

From: Longfellow2m [mailto:forum-general@swift18.org] ([email][mailto:forum-general@swift18.org][/email])
Sent: 22 January 2014 13:08
To: forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)

From: forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org) (forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org))
To: forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org) (forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org))

Peter

Tony in Falmouth

Attachments:
003.JPG

Peter

sfarrell
Under way

Mast HeightH

Post by sfarrell » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Hello Peter, Artemis,
I've sent you a PM (Private Message) re Looking for a Swift.
We may be able to help.
Simon

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Mast length & Towing

Post by John Hainsworth » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:48 pm

I tow mine behind a Renault Scenic. The mast is 26ft long and the distance from the bow roller to the tow hitch is 5ft. The mast extends over the car roof and behind the boat.You could lie the mast at an angle from a support on the transom to another at the tabernacle and a third at the pulpit.
When you lower the mast you will find that the top end unbalances it. As a result when you remove the bolt in the tabernacle the foot of the mast rises. I tie a loose loop of rope over the mast at the tabernacle and then gradually inch it forward. It can all be done single handed if you are careful. See notes in forum on mast raising, A Frame etc.

John (Taranaki)

Artemis
Under way

Post by Artemis » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Thank you John very much, I will print off this helpful information. It gives me good confidence that I will be ok. The point about the mast tabernacle is important too. I will read the forum, I have been finding that there is a good knowledge base about the boat, which will help me a lot.
Best wishes
Peter

Sent: 26 January 2014 14:49

I tow mine behind a Renault Scenic. The mast is 26ft long and the distance from the bow roller to the tow hitch is 5ft. The mast extends over the car roof and behind the boat.You could lie the mast at an angle from a support on the transom to another at the tabernacle and a third at the pulpit.
When you lower the mast you will find that the top end unbalances it. As a result when you remove the bolt in the tabernacle the foot of the mast rises. I tie a loose loop of rope over the mast at the tabernacle and then gradually inch it forward. It can all be done single handed if you are careful. See notes in forum on mast raising, A Frame etc.

John (Taranaki)

Peter