Swift keel

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
pancho
Under way

Swift keel

Post by pancho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:48 am

Scoot in the slings keel down and greased sanded back 2 coats Primer and 3 coats Micron.
Has anyone re profiled the trailing edge ? Or come up with a method of covering the slot when keel down ? How many turns to have the keel down in the optimum position ?
I have to say for a 1984 boat the keel and mechanism in excellent condition ! Launching today looking forward to our first sail.
John L Webb
Justplanesailing@yahoo.com
Performance car instructor
07715 323 324=

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Swift keel

Post by John Hainsworth » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi,

You can grease the keel mechanism through the inspection hole when aground at low water.
If you have a drying mooring it's important to ensure that the keel is fully up when you leave the boat I forgot and it cost me a new winding mechanism.
I've wondered about the water flow and drag in the keel box. I don't know the answer but did think about extending the slot with a tapered rear end to allow the water to flow. but I think this would mean extra strengthening as early Swifts have a weak spot in that area. The horizontal brace on mine was cracked when I bought it..On 13/08/2013 05:49, pancho wrote:
Scoot in the slings keel down and greased sanded back 2 coats Primer and 3 coats Micron.
Has anyone re profiled the trailing edge ? Or come up with a method of covering the slot when keel down ? How many turns to have the keel down in the optimum position ?
I have to say for a 1984 boat the keel and mechanism in excellent condition ! Launching today looking forward to our first sail.
John L Webb
Justplanesailing@yahoo.com (Justplanesailing@yahoo.com)
07715 323 324=

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3392 / Virus Database: 3211/6571 - Release Date: 08/12/13

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi John,
My boat, Vega, is No. 191 so the next one out of the mould after yours. I have a builders certificate dated 22nd March 1985. There are 48 turns to wind the keel fully down and there should be a stop on the end of the thread to prevent the keel being wound down too far, you should be able to see that in the keel box.
Hope this helps,
Rob

pancho
Under way

Swift keel

Post by pancho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks Rob,
We are new to the Swift and welcome any help from old hands ! Racing sails ordered, looking into changing the trailing edge of keel etc etc
Regards

John

Sent from John's iPad

On 13 Aug 2013, at 18:58, "robvega" <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

Hi John,
My boat, Vega, is No 191 so the next one out of the mould after yours. I have a builders certificate dated 22nd March 1985. There are 48 turns to wind the keel fully down and there should be a stop on the end of the thread to prevent the keel being wound down too far, you should be able to see that in the keel box.
Hope this helps,
Rob

pancho
Under way

Swift keel

Post by pancho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks Rob,
We are new to the Swift and welcome any help from old hands ! Racing sails ordered, looking into changing the trailing edge of keel etc etc
Regards

John

Sent from John's iPad

On 13 Aug 2013, at 18:58, "robvega" <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

Hi John,
My boat, Vega, is No 191 so the next one out of the mould after yours. I have a builders certificate dated 22nd March 1985. There are 48 turns to wind the keel fully down and there should be a stop on the end of the thread to prevent the keel being wound down too far, you should be able to see that in the keel box.
Hope this helps,
Rob

pancho
Under way

Swift keel

Post by pancho » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks John , all points noted and will let you know how we mod the keel etc.

Regards

John

Sent from John's iPad

On 13 Aug 2013, at 15:22, "John Hainsworth" <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

Hi,

You can grease the keel mechanism through the inspection hole when aground at low water.
If you have a drying mooring it's important to ensure that the keel is fully up when you leave the boat I forgot and it cost me a new winding mechanism.
I've wondered about the water flow and drag in the keel box. I don't know the answer but did think about extending the slot with a tapered rear end to allow the water to flow. but I think this would mean extra strengthening as early Swifts have a weak spot in that area. The horizontal brace on mine was cracked when I bought it..On 13/08/2013 05:49, pancho wrote:

: Scoot in the slings keel down and greased sanded back 2 coats Primer and 3 coats Micron.
John L Webb
Justplanesailing@yahoo.com (Justplanesailing@yahoo.com) (Justplanesailing@yahoo.com (Justplanesailing@yahoo.com))
07715 323 324=

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3392 / Virus Database: 3211/6571 - Release Date: 08/12/13