New swift 18 owner

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Hamblesailor
Under way

New swift 18 owner

Post by Hamblesailor » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Hello all,
I am pleased to report that after 2 years of looking (on and off) I have finally bought a Swift 18. The smallest cruising boat I have ever owned!
Only glitches are it is missing sails and rudder. It came from an estate and presumably the poor bugger who died took them home for the winter for dry storage and fettling as everything else is there and nicely looked after. All avenues have been exhausted re tracking down these original items. V. frustrating as I just know they are in somebody's garage or loft and will probably end up going to the tip once found.

No sign of a makers plate indicating a sail number in any of the usual places- any idea where I should be looking?

I'm assuming it is an early boat as it has tapered mast, aluminium toerail. It does have a cup forestay fitting.

Anyone got suggestions on who is the 'go to' sailmaker for these boats?

There used to be someone on here making rudders. Still happening? How much. I'm guessing nobody has a secondhand rudder they want to sell? Perhaps someone who has invested in the new improved version? Any old one will do for mine- just want to get it out on the water (Yes I know it's nearly December!)

I've looked at a lot of trailersailers over the years as I work in the marine press. I've always wanted a Swift as they were way ahead of their time and lift keelers of any era that sail OK are hard to find. My choice was between Parker 21 (impossible to find and £10k), RF20 (bit heavy to tow with a normal car and £10k) and Swift 18 (easy to find, light-ish to tow and..., £ a lot less to buy!) I've never sailed one though so fingers crossed it won't fall over in a F3!
Excited new Swift owner.
Jake Frith

dancrane
Anchored

New swift 18 owner

Post by dancrane » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Got a feeling the Wayfarer mainsail is the same area as the Swift 18. It doesn't look the same aspect, but if the boom-lengths are similar, it could be easier than sourcing a S18 main. And heaps cheaper too!

Subject: [Swift 18] New swift 18 owner
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 17:04:00 +0000
To: forum-general@swift18.org

Hello all,
I am pleased to report that after 2 years of looking (on and off) I have finally bought a Swift 18. The smallest cruising boat I have ever owned!
Only glitches are it is missing sails and rudder. It came from an estate and presumably the poor bugger who died took them home for the winter for dry storage and fettling as everything else is there and nicely looked after. All avenues have been exhausted re tracking down these original items. V. frustrating as I just know they are in somebody's garage or loft and will probably end up going to the tip once found.

No sign of a makers plate indicating a sail number in any of the usual places- any idea where I should be looking?

I'm assuming it is an early boat as it has tapered mast, aluminium toerail. It does have a cup forestay fitting.

There used to be someone on here making rudders. Still happening? How much. I'm guessing nobody has a secondhand rudder they want to sell? Perhaps someone who has invested in the new improved version? Any old one will do for mine- just want to get it out on the water (Yes I know it's nearly December!)

I've looked at a lot of trailersailers over the years as I work in the marine press. I've always wanted a Swift as they were way ahead of their time and lift keelers of any era that sail OK are hard to find. My choice was between Parker 21 (impossible to find and £10k), RF20 (bit heavy to tow with a normal car and £10k) and Swift 18 (easy to find, light-ish to tow and..., £ a lot less to buy!) I've never sailed one though so fingers crossed it won't fall over in a F3!
Excited new Swift owner.
Jake Frith

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)
...better to be in here, wishing you were out there, than out there wishing you were in here...

John Hainsworth
Cruising

New swift 18 owner

Post by John Hainsworth » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Congratulations,

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. It takes a force 5 without too many problems.

Crusader Sails in Poole were the best quote I got for sails.

I bought the boat as a project and the rudder was badly damaged so I made new stock out of aluminium tube with cheeks welded to it, and a blade out of 1" marine ply which broke. I then copied the original which had a heavy aluminium cross to give the strenght with GRP sides

My other problem was the keel lifting mechanism which sheered and I had to replace with a home grown one

I'm based in Wareham. If you are nerar enough to come have a look you'll be welcome.

Cheers John

jonang@talktalk.net (jonang@talktalk.net)

On 22/11/2012 17:04, Hamblesailor wrote:
Hello all,

Excited new Swift owner.
Jake Frith

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2629/5911 - Release Date: 11/22/12

BGH1501
Anchored

New swift 18 owner

Post by BGH1501 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi
I am just making to new rudders in Cowes , for new swift 18 just bring finished.
Away sailing in France this week but back next week if you want to drop me a line.
I have also had new sails made but depends on rig you have wether they will match
Regards
Brian Harding

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Nov 2012, at 18:04, "Hamblesailor" <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:

Hello all,

Excited new Swift owner.
Jake Frith

Boat Builder

Hamblesailor
Under way

Post by Hamblesailor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:53 am

Have to see if I can afford a new rudder. I do have the newly acquired skill to stick weld 316 stainless, so perhaps I could knock up a rudder cassette out of that. But yes, interested in principle in getting a quote on a new one.

Many thanks for all your help and encouragement.

Has anybody got a sketch or detailed photos of a Swift rudder blade? Showing depth, chord, thickness? Anybody know the name of the foil profile (NACA etc.)

Also toying with the idea of making the rudder blade- perhaps a framework of stainless rods, then fill the gaps in between with foam then fair and epoxy over the top. Or is there a dinghy centreboard roughly the same size?
J

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

rudder stock and blade

Post by mikeprojectboat » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi, Although I sold the moulds for the swift , I still have the patterns /moulds and drawings for the rudder stock and blades. could supply you with both if interested, or drawings for you to make your own(WINTER PROJECT?) Regards Mike ( mikeprojectboat) 01953 681578 In cold damp Norfolk

Hamblesailor
Under way

Post by Hamblesailor » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:25 pm

Thanks,
I'd really like to see the drawings if possible Mike.
I think making the rudder and stock is within my capabilities- just need some idea as to size and shape.
Jake