Norfolk Broads

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
Martin & Stephanie Gu
Anchored

Norfolk Broads

Post by Martin & Stephanie Gu » Fri May 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Hello All,
We are camping at Thrune Mouth Spring Bank holiday week. We are also taking the Swift with us but could not face being on the boat all week with two young children. We have direct access to the broads from a staith south of Thurne dyke. We will day sail and possibly stay out over night.
Are you able to moor any where apart from private moorings on the broads ?
Has anyone been under Potter Heigham bridge recently ? Do you have to use the officail pilot ?
Any advice anyone is able to give would be much appreciated.

Martin

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Sat May 14, 2011 8:16 am

Hi Martin, There are signs everywhere telling you where you can & can't moor on the broads, personally I look for the quieter spots where you arn't surrounded by large cruisers! Hunters Yard on Womack water only allow yachts. You should have no difficulty with Potter Heigham bridge in a Swift. Try to go through at slack water or with the current. The bridge pilot is for the hire craft. I've attached a pic of me in Vega coming under PH bridge. Pauline (Rondonay) keeps her Swift at Ranworth, she may be able to tell you more. Hope you have a great holiday.
Rob
Attachments
089a potter heigham.jpg

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Norfolk Broads

Post by John Hainsworth » Sun May 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Interesting photo. How do you raise the mast while under way.

I can do it using the trailer winch but haven't tried it on the water.

Thanks John

On 14/05/2011 09:16, robvega wrote:
Hi Martin, There are signs everywhere telling you where you can & can't moor on the broads, personally I look for the quieter spots where you arn't surrounded by large cruisers! Hunters Yard on Womack water only allow yachts. You should have no difficulty with Potter Heigham bridge in a Swift. Try to go through at slack water or with the current. The bridge pilot is for the hire craft. I've attached a pic of me in Vega coming under PH bridge. Pauline (Rondonay) keeps her Swift at Ranworth, she may be able to tell you more. Hope you have a great holiday.
Rob

Attachments:
089a potter heigham.jpg
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 pm

John, The boat is moored to the bank when raising or lowering the mast, not under way. I have a pole & block & tackle to raise & lower it. See picture which was taken on the shore as you can see but I could just as easily be on the water with me on the foredeck.
Hope this helps.
Rob
Attachments
2005_0522boat0058a.jpg

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Mon May 16, 2011 6:10 pm

I bet that modified tabernacle helps a lot as well Rob...What a good idea!
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

robvega
Cruising

Post by robvega » Tue May 17, 2011 8:00 am

Hi Garry, Yes I'm sure it does help, but I can't claim credit for the modification, it was like that when I bought Vega. The owner before me sailed out of Boston & i think the moorings were upsteam of a bridge! Its a pretty substantial stainless steel fabrication, goodness knows how much it cost!
Rob.

John Hainsworth
Cruising

Norfolk Broads

Post by John Hainsworth » Tue May 17, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks Rob,

I've got an A Frame so can experiment with block and tackle.

John

On 15/05/2011 23:36, robvega wrote:
John, The boat is moored to the bank when raising or lowering the mast, not under way. I have a pole & block & tackle to raise & lower it. See picture which was taken on the shore as you can see but I could just as easily be on the water with me on the foredeck.
Hope this helps.
Rob

Attachments:
2005_0522boat0058a.jpg
Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)