self furling line

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
wayfarer
Making way

self furling line

Post by wayfarer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:49 am

Hi shipmates took puffin out again and found self furling line worn, back home forgot to measure it .any body know the lenght and width as going down to it next week also thinking of renewing inner forstay can anybody help
Regards David

John Hainsworth
Cruising

self furling line

Post by John Hainsworth » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:14 am

Hi David,

The line is the length of the boat plus the length back to the cleat. I would get 10 metres to be safe, go for good stuff with minimum stretch.

When I renewed my forestay I was given an unused replacement from a cobra 750 which was twice as thick as the original. I had to alter the fitting to the drum but it was worth the effort.
I did read somewhere that the original forestays are liable to break, the weakness is just below the mast fitting.

Hope that helps.

John - Taranaki - NHYC Poole Harbour.On 09/04/2011 06:49, wayfarer wrote:
Hi shipmates took puffin out again and found self furling line worn, back home forgot to measure it .any body know the lenght and width as going down to it next week also thinking of renewing inner forstay can anybody help
Regards David

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

nickf
Under way

Jib furling forestay

Post by nickf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Jimmy Green Marine in Beer made my a new one up using the original as a pattern I have not had anty problems with it in 4 years
Nicholas

nickf
Under way

Furling Control Line

Post by nickf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Just remembered mine is still in the garage.It is 23 feet long and 6mm diameter.The legth is sufficient to fill the drum and is fed through an eye screwed to the deck then to a cleat on the port side of the cockpit
Nicholas

wayfarer
Making way

Post by wayfarer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:47 am

Hi Nicholas thanks great help as my boat is about 1 hour away now can take new one with me. Happy Sailing
regards david