New Mainsail

General chat of non-technical subjects related to sailing
sfarrell
Under way

New Mainsail

Post by sfarrell » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year to all, from what could possibly be the last members of the North Wales Swifties!
As the VAT has now gone up to 20% we are contemplating the purchase of a new mainsail!!!
To make life easier for ourselves we are thinking about lazyjacks and a packaway system, no more frantic grappling with sail elastics etc etc.
Has anyone any experience/recent mainsail purchase which combine all three? Jeckells & Kemps sails have been mentioned in past forum discussions.
Best Wishes for the 2011 sailing season.
Simon & Janet "Arabesque"

Terry
Cruising

Post by Terry » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi Simon & Jannet
Don't say that, it makes me feel a traitor to the cause!
As it happens, my new boat has Jeckels sails and a stack pack. I've not sailed it yet as it's stuck in Dartmouth for the winter. One thing I have noticed is that the pack seems a bit on the short side and about a foot or so of the clew sticks out exposing to the sun. I understand that the whole system was bought as a package so may be it's something to ask about.
I'll still talk to you next summer.
Happy new year.
Terry

yoty
Making way

Re: New Mainsail

Post by yoty » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi, Just ordered a new main (in time before the VaT rise) from Chris at Ullman's (http://www.ullmansails.co.uk/). I've already got a packaway so that didn't come into the equasion.

They made my last main which I had no complaint about.

Barry
sfarrell wrote:Hello Everyone and Happy New Year to all, from what could possibly be the last members of the North Wales Swifties!
As the VAT has now gone up to 20% we are contemplating the purchase of a new mainsail!!!
To make life easier for ourselves we are thinking about lazyjacks and a packaway system, no more frantic grappling with sail elastics etc etc.
Has anyone any experience/recent mainsail purchase which combine all three? Jeckells & Kemps sails have been mentioned in past forum discussions.

gff_cook
Making way

New Mainsail

Post by gff_cook » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Happy New Year to all, too!

Kemps were very good when I bought my new loose-footed, full top battened mainsail last September; their Southampton Boat Show price was 10% better than Jeckells' and their quotation much more informative. Ordering was easy and delivery on  time.

Performance was so good, I then ordered a Kemp 95% jib. Their advice and designing was meticulous - they even (rightly) double-checked with me the luff length dimension I'd given before production.

I've no price on their Packaway system. I use simple lazyjacks but intend to de-rig the loose-footed main after each sail - it's so simple and more secure.

Geoff Cook (Quadrille)

On 4 January 2011 13:32, sfarrell <forum-general@swift18.org (forum-general@swift18.org)> wrote:
Hello Everyone and Happy New Year to all, from what could possibly be the last members of the North Wales Swifties!

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

CHERRY PIE
Cruising

Post by CHERRY PIE » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi Gary & Ruth
Yes, like you, I sailed a boat last year with a stackpack and liked it, especially when reefing because the pack dispenses with the need for tiding up the surplus sail. As for the shortness of the pack, I've got the bit that goes around the mast. It's the other end that's the problem.
Terry

Terry congrats on your new boat. We sailed on a boat that had the Stackpac system and that finished about a foot off the mast, when the sail was dropped the stackpac zipped up and another piece of kit wrapped around the mast and covered the forward end of the stacpac...could it be that your stackpac is a little to forward and you are missing the front bit?
Still a Swiftie up to now...Gary/Ruth/Skip/Fred the Seagull
Gary/Ruth & Skipper who used to sail a Swift 18

sfarrell
Under way

Post by sfarrell » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:40 am

Thanks for the advice everyone, will now get some quotes in. Think I'll get them to advise/quote on the packaway system seperately.
Only joking Terry!! Also looking forward to seeing you in the spring, when you can help me fit lazyjacks etc. Where/how do they attach?
Your "New Boat". Very cryptic....What have you gone for? My curiosity is well piqued!!